Delicious Strawberry Cake with a homemade lemon whipped cream frosting. This cake is quick and easy to make for a crowd. Moist, delicious and bursting with strawberry and lemon flavors.
There is something so refreshing about strawberry cake. It’s the perfect combination of light, fruity, and sweet. This strawberry lemon cake is so easy to make and is a great dessert for spring or summer get-togethers!
You’d never know that this was made from a store-bought cake mix. People never believe that I make strawberry brownies from store-bought mix either!
Sheet cakes, like this strawberry lemon cake and my chocolate sheet cake, are a breeze to throw together and a great way to feed a large number of people. So next time you need a really quick dessert, turn to this strawberry cake!
Why You’ll Love Strawberry Lemon Cake
- The prep time for cake is only 20 minutes! So, you can throw it together, pop it in the oven, and let it cool while you get the rest of your meal together.
- This strawberry cake with lemon frosting always turns out super moist and is never a dry and mealy cake.
- Sheet cakes are a great way to bake cake as a beginner in baking!
Ingredients needed for this Strawberry Lemon Cake Recipe
- Strawberry cake mix – Use whatever strawberry cake mix is your favorite! Plus ingredients to make the strawberry cake mix like eggs, water and vegetable oil.
- Heavy Cream – Use heavy cream to create the homemade whipped cream frosting.
- Powdered Sugar – This is a great way to sweeten the whipped cream frosting because granulated sugar wouldn’t dissolve.
- Lemon Juice – Fresh lemon juice is best.
- Lemon Zest – You’ll need the zest of one whole lemon for the frosting.
How to Make Strawberry Lemon Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a 9×13 cake pan by spraying with cooking spray, then set it aside.
Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, combine the cake mix, plus ingredients call for on box. Mix according to package directions.
Place the cake in the oven and bake for according to package directions until a toothpick can be inserted in the middle and come out clean. Let the cake cool completely, for about an hour.
Make the Frosting
In a clean bowl, beat the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and lemon juice together with the whisk attachment on a stand mixer or hand mixer. Whip until the stiff, about 2-3 minutes and then gently fold in the lemon zest with a spatula.
Place the frosting in the refrigerator until the cake is fully cool and ready to be frosted.
Once the cake is completely cooled, gently spread the frosting over the top. Decorate with fresh lemon slices and slices of strawberries, then slice and serve!
How to Serve Strawberry Lemon Cake
Strawberry lemon cake is best served fresh! You can slice the sheet cake into twelve servings, or make larger slices if you prefer.
This moist strawberry cake would taste delicious with a glass of fresh milk or some homemade vanilla ice cream.
How to Store Strawberry Lemon Cake
This cake needs to strawberry cake with lemon frosting need to stored in the refrigerator because of the whipped cream. Store in the fridge for 2-3 days. Before storing, remove the fresh lemon and strawberry slices.
Can I make a different flavor of frosting?
Sure! You could even swap up the cake if you’d like. Lemon cake with lime frosting would be delicious.
- When serving, be sure that every slice of cake has fresh strawberries and lemon slices on it!
- Mix in the lemon zest by hand, so that it doesn’t get stuck to the whisk.
When you grate the lemon, make sure you are only getting the yellow parts of the peel! That is where the flavor for the zest will come from
The easiest spring and summer cake! Your guests will love this cake and you’ll love how quickly you can make it.
More Strawberry Recipes You’ll Love
- Do you and your friends need a refreshing, boozy summer treat? Then check out this delicious Strawberry Lemonade Margarita.
- If you’ve ever had Angel Food Cake, then you know that it’s amazing to use as a base for strawberry shortcake. This Strawberry Sauce is perfect for that!
- This Strawberry Fruit Dip is the perfect treat to have with graham crackers.
- Strawberry Overnight Oats are a great healthy breakfast options!
- An easy and delicious No-Bake Strawberry Lemonade Pie is sweet, a little tangy and the perfect no-bake icebox pie for your summer parties!
- Grab your strawberry pie filling, yellow cake mix and butter then bake this Strawberry Dump Cake.
- Easy Strawberry Brownies are perfectly ooey, gooey and packed with strawberry flavor.
- This No-Churn Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream is the perfect summer dessert that anyone can make because it doesn’t need an ice cream ice cream maker.
- 15.25 ounces strawberry cake mix + ingredients to prepare
Lemon Whipped Topping
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Strawberries and lemon slices for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9×13-inch cake pan; set aside.
- In the bowl of a hand or stand mixer, combine cake mix plus ingredients to prepare. Mix batter according to package directions. Pour into the prepared cake pan.
- Place cake in preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake according to package directions or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake completely about 1 hour.
- In the bowl of a hand mixer or stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the heavy cream with the powdered sugar and lemon juice on high speed. Whip until stiff (about 2-3 minutes). Gently fold in the lemon zest by hand until well combined. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to frost the cake.
- Spread the whipped cream evenly over the cooled cake. Decorate with strawberries and lemon slices and serve.