This Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe is so quick and easy, perfect for those busy mornings or when you are hosting company. It’s loaded with cheese, eggs, sausage, onions, bacon and of course, Tater Tots! Grab this easy breakfast casserole recipe and treat your family and friends!
We love breakfast casseroles for both breakfast and dinner! It’s a great way to mix up your dinner menu. This Tater Tot Breakfast Casseroles is loaded with ground sausage, bacon, eggs, cheese and of course Tater Tots.
It’s easy to make, has a great make ahead option and is freezer friendly, so double that recipe and freeze one for later. That’s the best hack ever for busy nights!
What I Love About this Breakfast Casserole!
- It’s quick and easy to make!
- The combo of tater tots, meat, eggs and cheese is so delicious.
- Can be made ahead of time.
- Great make ahead options plus freezer friendly!
Ingredients for Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole!
- Tater tots – You could also use shredded hash browns, but that tots make this breakfast casserole in my opinion.
- Bacon – Try making it in the oven if you you prefer that method.
- Sausage – Could also use diced ham instead!
- Yellow onion – Dice this finely, I bet the kids won’t even notice it’s in there but adds so much flavor.
- Cheddar cheese – Grab the block and shred it yourself for the best melty cheese.
- Whole milk – Skim or 2% milk will work in a pinch.
- Eggs – The “glue” that holds it all together!
- Salt, pepper & garlic powder – To give it the perfect flavor.
How to Make Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9” x 13” baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Cook the bacon until crispy, drain. Drain the bacon grease from pan. Add sausage and onions sauté to pan, when brown drain the grease from sausage.
- Next add the sausage and onions to the baking dish. Crumble the bacon and put on top of sausage.
- Cover with 2 cups of shredded cheese.
- Now whisk the milk, eggs, pepper, salt and garlic powder until combined. Pour over the mixture in pan, top with tater tots!
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until casserole is set.
- Remove from oven. Top with remaining 1/2 c. of cheese. Chop remaining bacon and sprinkle over the top of the casserole. Place in oven an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Use egg whites instead of whole eggs.
- Switch up the cheeses. Use a Montery jack or Pepper jack for some kick!
- Add some diced peppers to the skillet with the onions.
How to Store Leftovers
Refrigerator: Store any leftover breakfast casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Make sure it’s cool before you cover the container.
Freezer: You can also store it in a freezer safe container in the freezer for up to three months.
Make Ahead Tips
Overnight method is a great option for this easy breakfast casserole. You can prep it up to 24 hours in advance and store it in the refrigerator. When you are ready to make the casserole bake according to directions. It may take an extra 10-15 minutes of bake time because it’s cold when you bake it.
This tater tot breakfast casserole is also freezer friendly. I like to double it and freeze one of the casseroles for an easy breakfast or it’s perfect for breakfast for dinner option. A layer of saran wrap over the casserole and then aluminum foil helps prevent freezer burn.
When you are ready to bake the frozen breakfast casserole thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then bake according to directions. Once again it will take 10-15 minutes longer because the casserole is cold when you bake it.
- Berry Yogurt Breakfast Parfait
- Whole Grain Strawberry Breakfast Bars
- Breakfast Crescent Rolls
- Mini Caramel Rolls
What I love about all of these menu suggestions is that they are easy, made-in-advance and would be perfect for a buffet!
If you’re hosting a crowd soon, maybe breakfast with your best gal-pals or the family over the holidays plan ahead and you’ll be set! No stress, delicious and easy!
More breakfast casserole recipes you’ll love!
- Green Chili Breakfast Enchilada Casserole
- The BEST overnight French Toast Casserole
- Overnight Breakfast Enchiladas
- Crock Pot Tater Tot Egg Bake
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 pound sausage thawed
- 1 yellow onion minced
- 2 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1 cup whole milk
- 12 eggs large
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 32 ounces frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9'' x 13'' baking dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Cook bacon in skillet according to package directions, remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Let cool.
- Remove bacon grease from pan. Add sausage and onions to skillet. Cook and until sausage is browned. Remove grease from sausage.
- Place sausage and onions on bottom of baking dish. Chop 4 pieces of bacon up and put on top of sausage. Cover with 2 cups of shredded cheese.
- In a bowl whisk together milk, eggs, pepper, salt and garlic powder until combined. Pour over mixture in pan. Place Tater Tots on top of mixture.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until casserole is set in the middle and knife inserted in middle comes out clean. Remove from oven.
- Top with remaining ½ cup of cheese. Chop remaining bacon and sprinkle over the top of the casserole. Place in oven an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.