Ham and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast
Tender chicken breast stuffed with ham & cheese then covered in a lemon butter sauce for a quick, easy dinner recipe!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 lb ham sliced
- 8 slices cheese halved
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 c. chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp lemon juice fresh
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375°F at step 5.
Lightly beat chicken breast with a meat mallet. Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper, to taste.
Create opening in chicken to create a pocket. Add two halves of cheese, ham and two more halved slices, tucking ingredients into the pocket. Gently secure with toothpicks.
Heat oil over medium heat in large oven safe skillet . Carefully add chicken and cook 6 minutes on both sides (until chicken is golden and crispy). Remove chicken.
In the same skillet, add butter and garlic. Saute for a minute, stirring frequently. Add flour, mix vigorously. Add chicken broth, lemon juice and lightly season with salt and pepper, while whisking continuously. Simmer another minute until sauce begins to thicken.
Add chicken back to the skillet. Pour sauce over chicken.
Cover skillet with foil and bake 15-20 minutes until chicken is fully cooked.
- Pick large boneless chicken breasts so they are easier to cut and stuff.
- Sometimes you can get pre-cut chicken breasts at your grocery store.
- Don't cut your chicken breast all the way through, cut just enough to create a pocket.
- To cut the breasts lay them flat on a cutting board. Then cut a pocked parallel to the cutting board. Make sure it stays connected on three sides. Here's a great video to watch the shows you how to cut them!
- Seal the pockets with toothpicks to the cheese from oozing out too much, but, DON’T forget to remove the toothpicks! Remove the toothpicks before you add the cream to the chicken or they will be hard to find afterward. I used about 2 – 3 toothpicks per breast.
- You can use your favorite cheese for the recipe. I used sliced provolone but you can use mozzarella, Colby jack or even something like goat cheese – that’ll give it a totally unique flavor. If using grated cheese, be sure to really secure the pockets of the chicken so the cheese doesn’t ooze out completely.
- Be sure your skillet is hot before adding the chicken, it will gain a golden and crispy finish.
- When baking, don’t overcook the chicken, it will not taste as juicy. Since you are searing it before baking it, the bake time isn't long. Test the internal temp should be 165°F once cooked.
- You can use your favorite ham. (I used off-the-bone ham.).
Calories: 756kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 69g | Fat: 52g | Saturated Fat: 26g | Cholesterol: 266mg | Sodium: 1169mg | Potassium: 997mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1154IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 424mg | Iron: 1mg