Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore
A perfect slow cooker meal for a quick and easy weeknight dinner! Filled with tender shredded chicken, tomatoes, peppers, and onions.
- 3 chicken breasts frozen
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper sliced
- 1 tsp creole seasoning
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- Cooked rice for serving
- Garnish: fresh parsley optional
- 1 slow cooker liner*
Place liner in slow cooker for easy clean up.
Place chicken breasts in slow cooker.
Top chicken with onions and bell peppers.
Season with 1/2 tsp creole seasoning.
In a small bowl, mix tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, remaining 1/2 tsp creole and oregano. Pour mixture over the chicken, onions, and peppers.
Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.
Serve over cooked rice. Top with fresh parsley.
Frozen vs Fresh Chicken
The nice thing about this recipe is that you can use fresh or frozen chicken. I usually have frozen ones on hand but if you want to use fresh just reduce the cooking time to a total of four to five hours.
What to Serve with Chicken Cacciatore
It's pretty delicious all on its own but there are a few ways you can serve it:
- I love to serve it with rice! I just cook some up before dinner and then pile the chicken cacciatore on top.
- Or you can add some cooked pasta - top it with some grated Parmesan cheese and parsley!
- It's great with mashed potatoes, too!
- Or add some homemade breadsticks on the side so soak up all the sauce.
Calories: 185kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 622mg | Potassium: 923mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1190IU | Vitamin C: 43.9mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 2.7mg