Cheesy Potato Soup
Full of potatoes, bacon and cheese! You are going to love this Cheesy Bacon Potato Soup recipe to warm up with.
Servings: 12 servings
- 8 cups yukon gold potatoes peeled and cubed into 1'' pieces
- 1 yellow onion minced
- 2 cups carrots peeled and diced
- 12 cups hot water
- 12 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 ½ cups butter
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 15 ounces jar Cheese Whiz
- 3 ounces Real Bacon Bits
Peel and chop the vegetables. Place potatoes, carrots and onion in a LARGE pot filled with water. Bring to a boil and cook until crisp tender, about 8 minutes. When they are done pour them into a strainer and drain water.
In your large pot melt the butter over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add your flour. Whisk until it is a silky smooth mixture.
Add your 12 cups hot water to butter mixture and whisk to combine. Then add the bullion cubes. Stir the mixture until it starts to thicken up and bullion cubes have dissolved about 5-10 minutes.
When the soup has thickened add the jar of cheese whiz. Stir to incorporate. Add your cooked veggies and bacon pieces after the cheese has melted.
What potato is best for this soup?
- Russet potatoes will add starchiness and will help thicken it.
- Red potatoes have very low starch, so they really won't change the texture of your soup or stew.
- Yukon gold potatoes are considered a great all-purpose potato. They will add a creamy texture and (often times!) if scrubbed well you might even get away with not peeling them.
Calories: 536kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 95mg | Sodium: 1896mg | Potassium: 902mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 4509IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 180mg | Iron: 2mg