Easy homemade mashed potatoes that are light and fluffy every single time!
- 4 lbs Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/2 c. salted butter softened
- 1 c. milk warmed
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt finely ground
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- parsley or chives optional
Peel potatoes and quarter them. Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until easily pierced with a knife about 15 minutes. Drain well.
Add butter to potatoes and begin mashing with your potato masher. Pour in a little of the warmed milk at a time while mashing to achieve desired consistency.
Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with chives or parsley if desired.
- Yukon gold potatoes make the BEST mash; they are creamy without being too starchy. You can also use Russets if you desire.
- Make sure your potatoes are scrubbed well you can even leave the skin on if you choose!
- Red or white potato varieties are waxy and require most mashing to become creamy. This cold lead to the dreaed "potato paste" instead of the light, fluffy mashed potatoes we all love!
- Make sure when you quarter the potatoes they are all the same size so they cook evenly.
- Don't overcook the potatoes or they will become sticky or gluey.
- Mash the potatoes when they are HOT, do not wait until they cool down. When they are hot they will be easier to cream and not be as apt to get lumpy.
- The best option to mash is using a hand masher. This prevents the starches breaking down which happens when you used a hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Taste, taste, taste! Because you'll be adding the liquid a bit at a time (never add it all at once!) taste as you go. That way you'll know if they need more butter, salt or pepper.
- Make sure to warm your milk before you add it! This helps them stay warm while you are mashing them.
- Finish with a flourish, swirling the potatoes into creamy mountains and crevices. Then dot additional butter here and there. A sprinkle of chives or parsley makes it as pretty as it is delicious!
Calories: 204kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 461mg | Potassium: 780mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 335IU | Vitamin C: 20.7mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 5.9mg