Quick and easy dessert bar recipe that you grew up with! Tender shortbread crust, almond filling and frosting!
- 1 c. butter softened
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- ½ c. powdered sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 eggs
- ½ c. white sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- ¼ c. butter softened
- 1 ½ Tbsp milk
- 1 ½ c. powdered sugar
- ½ tsp almond extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl beat together butter, flour and powdered sugar until smooth and creamy using a hand mixing or stand mixer.
Press into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F.
While crust is baking mix together cream cheese, eggs, sugar and almond extract in a mixing bowl until smooth. Pour over crust after it is done baking for 15 minutes.
Place pan back in oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes. After bars are done baking remove from oven and cool completely.
In a mixing bowl combine all ingredients for frosting and beat until smooth. Spread over bars after they have cooled. Store in airtight container.
- Make sure your butter and cream cheese are softened to room temperature.
- You definitely want to use an electric mixer to make these Almond Bars in order to properly cream the butter and sugar.
- Be sure to bake the crust first before adding the filling. The first time you bake the crust you are baking it just long enough for it to set so it provides a foundation for the filling.
- Be sure to use almond extract for this recipe. Almond extract is pretty strong so a little goes a long way in this recipe. Store your almond extract in a cool, dry place.
- I like to make and bake the crust and filling a day in advance and then frost them a few hours before I want to serve them.
Calories: 354kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 150mg | Potassium: 50mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 30g | Vitamin A: 546IU | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1mg