7 Layer Casserole
Classic midwest casserole with layers of ground beef, rice, corn, tomato sauce, bacon and more!
- 1 c. long grain white rice uncooked
- 1 can whole kernel golden sweet corn 15.25 oz
- 2 cans tomato sauce 8 oz each, divided
- 3/4 c. water
- ½ c. chopped yellow onion
- ½ c. chopped green bell pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 4-5 strips bacon
Put the rice in a 2-quart greased baking dish.
Spoon the corn evenly over the rice layer.
Combine one 1 can of tomato sauce with 1/2 c. of water and pour over the corn layer.
Sprinkle with the chopped onion and bell pepper.
Next put the raw ground beef and sprinkle lightly with the salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Mix other can of tomato sauce with ¼ c. of water and pour over ground beef.
Top with the strips of bacon.
Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 F for 1 hour.
Uncover and cook 30 minutes longer.
Tips & Tricks!
- Be sure to layer the ingredients as instructed so everything cooks evenly.
- Be sure to keep the casserole tightly covered with foil for the first hour. This will lock in the moisture and cook the casserole faster. Taking the foil off in the last 30 minutes allows the bacon to crisp up and some of the excess moisture will cook off.
- It's always a good idea to allow a baked casserole to stand for a few minutes before serving it to cool off and set.
- The leftovers will keep well in the fridge for three days. Or, you can freeze the leftovers for two to three months.
Calories: 400kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 636mg | Potassium: 658mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 506IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 3mg