Crispy potatoes filled with cheese, bacon, sour cream and green onions make the perfect appetizer!
- 6 medium russet potatoes washed, cleaned and pierced
- ¼ c. olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- 8 bacon strips cooked and crumbled
- 1 ½ c. cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ c. sour cream
- 4 green onions sliced
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a small bowl combine olive oil, sea salt, garlic powder and pepper. Brush on potatoes.Save remaining olive oil mixture for later.
Place potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet. Place in preheated oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until fork easily pierces potatoes.
Remove potatoes from oven, remove them from the pan and let cool until you can handle them.
Place a wire rack in rimmed baking sheet.
Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a ¼’’ shell. Brush reserved olive oil mixture on potatoes. Place them on a wire rack in the rimmed baking sheet.
Place potato shells in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until crisp. Remove from oven, sprinkle with bacon and cheddar cheese. Place back in the oven and bake until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes longer.
Top with sour cream and onions, serve immediately.
Tips and Tricks!
Make Ahead Tips!
- Use a russet potato when making these.
- Pick potatoes that are uniformly sized so they cook at the same rate.
- We recommend picking smaller potatoes so you can handle them in your hands easier when you eat them.
- Make sure your potatoes are nice and crispy before you top them with the bacon and cheese so they hold the toppings and don't crumble.
- If you want to level up your Potato Skins top them with things like pulled pork, taco meat, diced jalapenos, salsa etc. You can even make a Potato Skins bar and let everyone top their own!
- Prepare potatoes up until the step of topping them.
- Leave the potatoes on the baking sheet after baking them with the olive oil brushed on top.
- Place them in the freezer and let the potatoes freeze.
- Once frozen remove from freezer and stack them in an airtight container. They will stay good for up to 3 months.
- When you are ready to use them simply remove them from the freezer, place on baking sheet like recipe states and bake them until they are crispy then top with favorite toppings.
Calories: 307kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 397mg | Potassium: 523mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 403IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 259mg | Iron: 4mg