Tender, moist and delicious cake loaded with pumpkin flavor, spices and topped with an easy cream cheese frosting!
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 4 large eggs room temperature, beaten
- 2 c. granulated sugar
- 1 c. vegetable oil
- 15 oz pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ c. unsalted butter softened
- 4-5 c. powdered sugar depending on the consistency
- 2 spt vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13x9 inch baking pan with non-stick spray.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs then add sugar, oil and pumpkin puree. Mix until smooth.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice until combined.
Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined and smooth.
Evenly spread batter into prepared baking pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove from oven onto wire rack and cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting
In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and cream cheese until smooth.
Gradually add powdered sugar mixing well after each addition until desired consistency.
Add vanilla and mix until combined.
Spread over cooled cake evenly.
Serve immediately or store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Store leftovers in refrigerator in airtight container.
The secret for making a moist and tender cake is to not overmix the batter.
Make sure you grab pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling. They are not the same thing.
- Let your eggs sit out for 30 minutes before using them so they are at room temperature and easier to mix into the batter.
- Add your favorite sprinkles – this is fun for holidays!
- Drizzle some chocolate sauce or caramel sauce over the top of the frosting for an extra special treat. I wouldn’t go too crazy with it, so use a light hand!
- You can also sprinkle nuts like chopped walnuts or pecans over the top for some crunch.
- You could also buy mellowcreme pumpkins and put one on each slice of cake!
- If you don’t like cream cheese frosting feel free to switch it to buttercream or other frosting of your choice. When I’ve been pressed for time, I’ve used store-bought frosting to make it even easier!
Calories: 566kcal | Carbohydrates: 91g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 294mg | Potassium: 97mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 71g | Vitamin A: 3657IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 2mg