Hot Buttered Rum
Warm and sweet cocktail that's quick and easy! Perfect for cold nights or serving at a party.
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cup spiced rum
- 2 cups hot water
- 4 sticks cinnamon for garnish
Using an electric mixer, beat the brown sugar, butter, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl until blended and smooth.
Transfer the mixture to a 4-cup (or larger) measuring cup.
Add the rum and then 2 cups of boiling water. Stir until the butter mixture dissolves. Divide the buttered rum among 4 mugs.
Garnish with the cinnamon sticks and serve.
HOW TO SERVE YOUR DRINKS!
You can pour the drinks into mugs and call it a day, but there a few fun ways to garnish your drinks to make them extra special!
HOW TO MAKE HOT BUTTERED RUM FOR A CROWD
If you’re serving more than four people there’s an easy way to make a big batch!
- Sprinkle a little cinnamon or nutmeg (or both!) over the top – a little goes a long way!
- Or, get fancy and add a dollop of homemade whipped cream.
- A simple cinnamon stick is a nice way to garnish the drink, too.
- Go crazy and do all of these garnishes! Top with whipped cream, sprinkle some cinnamon over the top, add a cinnamon stick and your Hot Buttered Rum will look like it was made in a restaurant!
HOW TO MAKE THE BATTER AHEAD
If you only want one or two drinks at a time you can make the batter ahead, keep it in the refrigerator, and make single drinks whenever you want. There are actually two ways to do it:
- Double or triple the recipe and make the batter following the instructions.
- Place the batter in a pot and add the rum.
- Pour boiling water over the batter and rum. Place the pot over a burner and turn it to medium. Stir until the batter has dissolved.
- Adjust the heat to keep the drink mixture steaming hot (it shouldn’t be boiling) and you can ladle drinks into mugs as people want them!
- You can also set up a garnish bar and let your guests dress up their drinks to their tastes.
Of course, if you’re making Hot Buttered Rums ahead for a party you can chill the batter ahead, too! The nice thing about making the batter ahead is that it keeps in the refrigerator for up to a month as long as it’s properly stored.
- Once you’ve made the batter, scoop it onto a piece of plastic wrap and roll it up into a log. Chill the log for at least an hour and then you can slice off a piece for a single drink, place it in a mug, add the rum and boiling water. Stir and enjoy!
- Or, you can just place the batter in a container and use a spoon to scoop the amount you want in your drink. This works well, too.
Calories: 489kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 19mg | Potassium: 63mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 44g | Vitamin A: 709IU | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 1mg