King Ranch Casserole
Quick and easy Tex Mex Casserole loaded with corn tortillas, cheese and a creamy chicken filling with pepper and green chiles.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 10.75 oz can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 10.75 oz can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 2 c. cooked and cubed chicken
- 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 corn tortillas cut into quarters
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion, red and green peppers until softened about 7-10 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl combine the onion and pepper mixture, cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, diced tomatoes, cumin, and chile powder Stir until completely combined. Reserve ¾ c. of sauce for later.
Spread ½ c. of sauce on the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Spread 1⁄2 of the chicken over the sauce. Top chicken with half of the remaining sauce and then ⅓ of the cheese. Spread a layer of corn tortillas (½ the tortillas) over the cheese. Spread remaining chicken over the tortillas, top with remaining sauce (except reserved sauce) then ⅓ of the cheese, remaining tortillas, and the reserved sauce and remaining cheese.
Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown.
- If you want a casserole with more of a kick and a bit more chile pepper or grab the "Hot" diced tomatoes with green chiles.
- We recommend using a block of cheese and grating it yourself. The result is "meltier" cheese that's so much better and totally worth the few extra minutes.
- It can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to three days. Simply prepare the casserole, cool completely, cover and place in the fridge. When you are ready to use place in the oven. Add about 10-15 minutes to cooking time because the dish is cold. If the cheese browns to fast cover with foil and continue baking.
- It's also freezer friendly. Once again prep and then cool, cover and place in the freezer for up to three months. When you are ready to use remove from the freezer, let thaw completely in fridge. When you are ready to use place in the oven. Add about 10-15 minutes to cooking time because the dish is cold. If the cheese browns to fast cover with foil and continue baking.
- Use the slow cooker to make this casserole if you are going to a potluck. Instead of layering it in a baking dish layer it in the slow cooker. Cook on low 2-3 hours or until warmed through and cheese is melted.
Calories: 565kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 133mg | Sodium: 632mg | Potassium: 598mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1616IU | Vitamin C: 44mg | Calcium: 627mg | Iron: 2mg