Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Light and fluffy cream cheese frosting that's spiced with cinnamon.
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter softened
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 c. powdered sugar
In a large bowl, using a stand or hand mixer, beat together the butter and cream cheese until the lumps are gone and the mixture is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Add in the cinnamon and salt and continue mixing until combined.
Pour in half of the powdered sugar and mix it in just until the sugar is mostly mixed in, but not completely. Pour the rest of the sugar in and beat until well combined and the frosting is light and fluffy.
From here, you can frost your cake or cupcakes with a knife or you can fill a piping bag to pipe the cupcakes.
If all of the frosting is not used, cover the piping bag tip with some saran wrap or cover the bowl of frosting with saran wrap and store in the refrigerator. This is best if used within a day or two.
HOW TO FILL A PIPING BAG
If you want to pipe the frosting here are my tips for filling a piping bag:
- Tip: The easiest way I’ve found to fill a piping bag is by inserting it into a tall glass and wrapping the sides over the top of the glass. Fill with frosting and then grab the sides of the bags and lift the piping bag out of the glass.
- The frosting tip that was used for these cupcakes was a 1M tip.
- Place the bag in a tall drinking glass and fold the top of the bag over the top of the glass so the bag is held open. This way you don’t have to try and hold the bag while you’re filling it.
- Using a rubber spatula, scoop the frosting into the bag.
- Lift the bag out of the glass and twist the top to push the frosting down the bag towards the tip.
- Pipe it onto your cupcakes or cake!
Can I substitute a different spice for the cinnamon?
You can use the same amount of ground nutmeg, cloves, or pumpkin pie spice in place of the cinnamon for a different twist.
Can I make it ahead?
Yes, you can make it up to a day or two in advance. Once you’ve made it, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and keep it in the refrigerator. Let it come to room temperature before you frost your dessert.
Can I pipe it without a piping bag?
If you don’t have a bag, you can use a resealable plastic bag instead! Fill the bag with the frosting and then snip off one corner to pipe out the frosting. This is an easy solution if you don’t have a pastry bag and decorating tips.
Calories: 221kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 56mg | Potassium: 13mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 39g | Vitamin A: 250IU | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 1mg