Classic Chef Salad is an all American dish with lettuce, meat, eggs, cheese and topped with dressing.
- 1 head lettuce your favorite, we used romaine hearts
- 2-4 medium tomatoes or grape tomatoes sliced or wedged
- ½ English cucumber sliced thinly or 2 small cucumbers
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- ¼ lb ham cubed or sliced
- ¼ lb turkey cubed or sliced
- 4 strips bacon cooked and crumbed
- ¼ lb cheese your favorite, we used Swiss and Cheddar, cubed
- 4 hard boiled eggs peeled and cut in half or quarters
- Croutons optional
- Black olives optional
- Hot peppers optional
- Green peppers optional
- Thousand Island or Ranch dressing
Clean and prep all ingredients.
Wash and dry the lettuce. Tear into bite size pieces. Begin by adding the lettuce to a large platter or bowl.
Top with remaining ingredients.
Serve immediately with your favorite salad dressing and additional toppings if you like.
Store leftovers in refrigerator.
What is the difference between a cobb salad and chef salad?
They are similar, but a cobb salad is usually made with chicken, bacon, avocado, tomatoes, eggs, and a vinaigrette dressing. It is also made with several kinds of lettuce. Cobb salad has deli meat, cheese, eggs, bacon, veggies and is served with a variety of dressings.
Can you assemble it ahead of time?
You can but I wouldn’t make it more than a few hours in advance. Also, don’t add the dressing until you serve it. If you do make it ahead, cover it tightly with plastic wrap and keep in in the refrigerator.
How long do the leftovers keep?
They will keep for a few days as long as you keep the dressing in a separate container.
Calories: 427kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 263mg | Sodium: 761mg | Potassium: 692mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1792IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 277mg | Iron: 2mg