Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
Quick and easy Rice Krispie Treats with extra marshmallows! Microwave directions to make them the easiest ever!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Cooling Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
Servings: 20 bars
- 12 Tbsp butter sliced into thin slabs
- 2 bags mini marshmallows divided, (10 oz bags)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 8 ½ c. Rice Krispies
Spray a 9’’ x 13’’ pan with non-stick spray or line with heavy duty aluminum foil greased with non-stick spray. If using foil let it drape over the sides of the pan for easy removal of bars.
Remove two cups of marshmallows and set aside.
Place the butter slabs and remaining marshmallows in a large microwave safe container. Microwave for 2 minutes. Remove and stir until butter and marshmallows are melted and combined. Add vanilla and stir until combined.
Quickly mix in cereal and stir until it is combined. Add reserved marshmallows and stir until they are softened and partially melted. You do not want them to completely melt as the provides those delicious pockets of marshmallow goo.
Press mixture into prepared pan. You can butter your fingers to help press them into the pan with less mixture sticking with to them or use the butter wrapper to push the mixture into the pan. Damp fingers also work to help press the mixture into the pan without getting it stuck to your fingers.
Let cool at room temperature for at least a hour.
If you used foil you can lift the treats onto cutting board and cut into pieces.
Otherwise cut them in the pan.
These will also freeze for up to 6 weeks. To freeze place in airtight container. Use wax paper between layers. To use frozen treats remove from freezer and let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
If you do not want to microwave the butter and marshmallows you can simply but them in a saucepan over medium heat and melt them together stirring frequently. Then stir the reserved marshmallows in.
TIPS AND TRICKS TO MAKE THE BEST RICE KRISPIE TREATS!
- Line Pan – To make it easy to remove the bars, line your baking dish with enough tin foil so you have extra that hang over the edges of the pans. That way, you can grab it and lift the bars out in one whole piece before you slice them.
- Use Fresh Marshmallows – Okay, so this might go without saying, but you must use fresh marshmallows. Marshmallows that have been around too long harden and if you if use them to make these treats your bars won’t be chewy they’ll be rock hard! You might think it will work because hard marshmallows will melt, but once they set you’ll have bricks instead of soft and chewy Rice Krispie Treats.
- Use PURE VANILLA EXTRACT – Pure vanilla extract is made with real vanilla, so don’t substitute regular vanilla extract otherwise you won’t get that wonderful natural vanilla flavor.
- Do not press firmly into pan – When you press the Rice Krispie Treats mixture into the pan don’t press too hard otherwise your bars will be too dense and too chewy. Lightly press it in so that there is still plenty of air in the bars.
- Use wet hands or buttered hands to press into pan – Okay, if you’ve ever tried to press sticky marshmallows and cereal with your hands you know you end up with more stuck to your hands than in the pan! To make it easier, butter or wet your hands with water when you handle the mixture so it goes in the pan and doesn’t stick to you.
Calories: 445kcal | Carbohydrates: 86g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 591mg | Potassium: 128mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 6901IU | Vitamin C: 64mg | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 31mg