Lemon Coconut Cake
Tender, Fluffy Lemon Loaf Cake Topped with Cream Cheese Frosting, Coconut and Lemon Zest!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup coconut yogurt I used full-fat coconut Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- Finely grated zest of 1 medium-large lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 ounces cream cheese softened
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1-2 tablespoons milk or half and half
- Shredded coconut and lemon zest optional garnish
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan and set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and shredded coconut.
In a large bowl, whisk yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice, coconut oil and almond extract until well combined. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until well combined, the batter will be thick.
Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth the top. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place the pan on a rack to cool.
Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until combined. Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Add 1 tablespoon milk, extract and lemon zest and beat until combined. If the frosting is too thick add additional milk to thin it out.Spread the frosting on the cooled cake and top with shredded coconut and lemon zest.
You can prepare this ahead of time. We wouldn’t recommend more than 24 hours.
Store it in an airtight container in refrigerator to keep it fresh longer.
The same rules apply for leftovers!
- You could also toast your coconut and top it with toasted coconut to mix up the flavor profile a bit!
Serving: 1g | Calories: 480kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 86mg | Sodium: 157mg | Potassium: 219mg | Sugar: 47g | Vitamin A: 380IU | Vitamin C: 1.9mg | Calcium: 108mg | Iron: 1.6mg