Cheesy Southwest Chicken Soup
Comforting Cheesy Southwest Chicken Soup filled with onions, peppers, black beans, corn, and finished off with a little cream to give it that extra little something!
Servings: 6 servings
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper chopped
- 1 poblano seeds removed and chopped
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder divided
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin divided
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts chopped in 1 inch pieces
- 1 tsp creole seasoning or seasoned salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup corn canned or frozen
- 1 cup black beans canned
- Topping: Shredded Jack cheese cilantro or green onions
- Tortilla chips
In a large pot, heat butter and olive oil over medium-high heat.
Add onions and peppers. Saute for about 10 minutes. Season with 1 tbsp chili powder, and 1 tsp cumin.
Add green chiles and saute for a few more minutes.
Add flour, stir to combine, and cook for 1 minute.
Slowly add in broth while stirring. Bring to a boil.
Add chicken, seasoned with remaining chili powder and cumin and creole seasoning. Boil for about 15 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium and add corn, black beans, and heavy cream. Cook for about 10 more minutes. Taste to season.
To serve: Spoon soup into a bowl. Add some tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and cilantro and/or green onions.
Calories: 334kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 1220mg | Potassium: 651mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1350IU | Vitamin C: 49.3mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 2.3mg