Cheesy Southwest Chicken Soup Recipe – Comforting soup filled with onions, peppers, black beans, corn, and finished off with a little cream to give it that extra little something!
Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter HERE so you never miss a new recipe!
Cheesy Southwest Chicken Soup is one of the best comfort foods. What’s not to like? It has those wonderful Southwestern flavors in it and it’s soup…with chips in it. Need I say more? Hi Julie’s Eats & Treats readers! It’s Jaren from Diary of a Recipe Collector back to share some good food with you! And I just started thinking about how I’ve never shared any Mexican/Southwestern food recipes with you guys. How is that possible? It’s by far my most favorite cuisine to cook. I could eat it eight nights a week!
No, I’m not Mexican or even close to living in the Southwest. I’m a Southern Louisiana gal, a Cajun born and raised. But it doesn’t matter because I love it all! It was the number one food I craved when I was pregnant every time too. It’s a wonder my kids aren’t in love with it as much as me. They are getting better. They associate Mexican food with chips and cheese dip. And I think they are all for that! When we say we are going out to eat Mexican food, we hear shouts of joy.
We have a fun local restaurant that is so kid-friendly. It has games and an enclosed outdoor play area they can go to while the grown-ups finish eating and enjoying life. So it will come as no surprise that it is one our favorite places to go with 4 kids. Chips, cheese dip, play outside, games…a kid’s dream spot!
Why can’t all restaurants have enclosed outdoor play areas??
So when we can’t visit that favorite restaurant I love to make meals like this Cheesy Southwest Chicken Soup. And the kids are happy because they get to dunk their tortilla chips in it. Even my little picky eater loved it! I love it when that happens.
I wanted to make this soup a little thicker and creamier. I added some heavy cream to make that happen. Between that and the shredded Jack cheese, we totally loved it. I can’t wait to make it again when we get some chilly weather! Enjoy and thanks for allowing me to share with you today!
Cheesy Southwest Chicken Soup
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 poblano, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin, divided
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped in 1 inch pieces
- 1 tsp creole seasoning or seasoned salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup corn (canned or frozen)
- 1 cup black beans (canned)
- Topping: Shredded Jack cheese, cilantro or green onions
- Tortilla chips
- In a large pot, heat butter and olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and peppers. Saute for about 10 minutes. Season with 1 tbsp chili powder, and 1 tsp cumin.
- Add green chiles and saute for a few more minutes.
- Add flour, stir to combine, and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add in broth while stirring. Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken, seasoned with remaining chili powder and cumin and creole seasoning. Boil for about 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add corn, black beans, and heavy cream. Cook for about 10 more minutes. Taste to season.
- To serve: Spoon soup into a bowl. Add some tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and cilantro and/or green onions.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 450kcal Calories from fat 209|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 23g||35%|
|Saturated Fat 11g||55%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Things You Might Need for this Recipe!
Connect with Jaren:
Looking for other recipes?