Cheesy Southwest Chicken Soup Recipe – Comforting soup filled with onions, peppers, black beans, corn, and finished off with a little cream to give it that extra little something!
Cheesy Southwest Chicken Soup is one of the best comfort foods. What’s not to like? It has those wonderful Southwestern flavors in it and it’s soup…with chips in it. Plus this Cheesy Southwest Soup has black beans, corn, chicken green pepper and more! Need I say more?
Cheesy Southwest Chicken Soup Ingredients!
- Olive oil
- Green bell pepper
- Green chiles
- Chili powder
- Cumin, divided
- Chicken broth
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Creole seasoning or seasoned salt
- Heavy cream
- Black beans
- Topping: Shredded Jack cheese, cilantro or green onions
- Tortilla chips
Hi Julie’s Eats & Treats readers! It’s Jaren from Diary of a Recipe Collector back to share some good food with you! Did you know that Mexican/Southwestern food recipes are by far my favorite cuisine to cook. I could eat it eight nights a week!
No, I’m not Mexican or even close to living in the Southwest. I’m a Southern Louisiana gal, a Cajun born and raised. But it doesn’t matter because I love it all! It was the number one food I craved when I was pregnant every time too. It’s a wonder my kids aren’t in love with it as much as me. They are getting better. They associate Mexican food with chips and cheese dip. And I think they are all for that! When we say we are going out to eat Mexican food, we hear shouts of joy.
We have a fun local restaurant that is so kid-friendly. It has games and an enclosed outdoor play area they can go to while the grown-ups finish eating and enjoying life. So it will come as no surprise that it is one our favorite places to go with 4 kids. Chips, cheese dip, play outside, games…a kid’s dream spot!
Why can’t all restaurants have enclosed outdoor play areas??
So when we can’t visit that favorite restaurant I love to make meals like this Cheesy Southwest Chicken Soup. And the kids are happy because they get to dunk their tortilla chips in it. Even my little picky eater loved it! I love it when that happens.
Tools to Help You Make Cheesy Southwest Chicken Soup!
I wanted to make this soup a little thicker and creamier. I added some heavy cream to make that happen. Between that and the shredded Jack cheese, we totally loved it. I can’t wait to make it again when we get some chilly weather! Enjoy and thanks for allowing me to share with you today!
More delicious chicken soup on the blog!
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
- Pesto Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Slow Cooker King Ranch Chicken Soup
Cheesy Southwest Chicken Soup
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper chopped
- 1 poblano seeds removed and chopped
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder divided
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin divided
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts chopped in 1 inch pieces
- 1 tsp creole seasoning or seasoned salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup corn canned or frozen
- 1 cup black beans canned
- Topping: Shredded Jack cheese cilantro or green onions
- Tortilla chips
- In a large pot, heat butter and olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and peppers. Saute for about 10 minutes. Season with 1 tbsp chili powder, and 1 tsp cumin.
- Add green chiles and saute for a few more minutes.
- Add flour, stir to combine, and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add in broth while stirring. Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken, seasoned with remaining chili powder and cumin and creole seasoning. Boil for about 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add corn, black beans, and heavy cream. Cook for about 10 more minutes. Taste to season.
- To serve: Spoon soup into a bowl. Add some tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and cilantro and/or green onions.
Things You Might Need for this Recipe!
Connect with Jaren:
Looking for other recipes?