Tender potatoes and hard boiled eggs make this traditional potato salad the BEST.
- 5 lb red potatoes
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 2 c. Miracle Whip
- 3/4 c. whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp prepared yellow mustard
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 c. white vinegar
Peel and dice potatoes. Place in large stock pot and cover with water. Bring to rapid boil, turn down to medium heat and boil 5-7 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain potatoes and let cool.
In a medium mixing bowl whisk whipping cream for 1 minute. Stir in Miracle Whip, mustard, sugar, salt, pepper and vinegar. Mix until combined.
Pour mixture over cooled potatoes. Peel and dice three hard boiled eggs and add to potatoes. Mix until combined.
Peel last three hard boiled eggs and slice and place on top of salad.
Refrigerate until thoroughly cooled.
- Traditional potato salad usually uses Mayonnaise instead of Miracle Whip. The Miracle Whip will give it a slightly sweeter taste. You can totally substitute Mayonnaise for the Miracle Whip if you prefer that.
- If you’d like onion, add in 1/2 c. sweet onion finely diced.
- Another great addition if you like pickle relish is adding in 1/2 c. sweet pickle relish.
- Many people like to add in 1 Tbsp celery seeds or 1 tsp celery salt. You can even finely dice a few stalks of celery if you want that crunch!
- I’ve also seen fresh chopped dill added to create another flavor profile.
- Another option is to roast your potatoes like we do in this recipe.
- Or, you could add bacon and ranch to it like we do in this one!
- Make sure you boil your potatoes until just tender, over tender potatoes will crumble when you mix everything together.
- We prefer using Yukon Gold potatoes, but red potatoes will work too. Just make sure your potatoes are starchy!
- Make it ahead of time! Did you know it tastes better then next day after it’s been chilled because the flavors come together? Perfect for party planning!
Calories: 276kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 117mg | Sodium: 458mg | Potassium: 925mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 390IU | Vitamin C: 16.3mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 1.8mg