Banana Coffee Cake
Moist banana cake, full of white chocolate chips and topped with brown sugar!
- 2/3 C. slivered almonds
- 1/4 C. brown sugar packed
- 2/3 C. butter softened
- 1 1/2 C. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 tsp almond extract
- 3 C. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 C. mashed ripe bananas about 3-4 bananas
- 1 C. Greek yogurt
- 1 C. vanilla or white chips
In a small bowl, combine almonds and brown sugar; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract.
Combine flour, baking soda and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternately with bananas and Greek yogurt. Fold in white chocolate or vanilla chips.
Spread into a greased 13x9x2 in baking pan. Sprinkle with reserved almond mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
HOW TO STORE BANANA COFFEE CAKE
Once the coffee cake is fully cooled you can slice it into squares and serve it or store it for later.
- Making it ahead: If you are making the cake to slice and serve later, it’s better to keep the cake whole instead of slicing it right away. It won’t dry out as fast this way. Remove it from the pan (once it’s fully cooled) and wrap it in plastic wrap. I like to wash the pan I baked it in, dry it and then place the wrapped cake back in it and cover it with a lid or more plastic wrap. If you store it this way, it will keep for up to four or five days at room temperature.
- Leftover slices: If you slice the cake and have leftovers, they will keep well for two to three days at room temperature or you can keep them in the refrigerator and they will keep for a few days longer. Just keep them wrapped.
- Freezing it whole: You can also freeze the entire cake. Just wrap it up and place it in a freezer-safe container or large bag and it will keep for several months. Thaw it at room temperature and then slice it.
- Freezing individual slices: Or, you can freeze the individual slices. Wrap each slice in plastic wrap and keep them in an airtight container. Once frozen, you can thaw the slices as you want them.
Calories: 409kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 205mg | Potassium: 246mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 31g | Vitamin A: 240IU | Vitamin C: 2.1mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 2.1mg