This delicious homemade lasagna has a Mexican flair you will love to take your lasagna up a notch on pasta night! Layers of lasagna noodles, taco meat and cheese.
- 9 lasagna noodles cooked to al dente
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 3/4 c. water
- 24 oz jar of pasta sauce
- 2 eggs
- 15 oz container ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4 c. shredded Mexican cheese divided
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 13x9 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Cook ground beef until no longer pink, drain off grease. Stir in water and taco seasoning. Continue to simmer until water is absorbed. Add pasta sauce and stir until mixed.
In a separate bowl beat eggs. Stir in ricotta cheese, cumin and 2 c. of Mexican cheese.
Spread a thin layer of meat sauce in 13x9 dish. Top with 3 of your lasagna noodles laying side by side. Top noodles with a 1/3 of ricotta mixture, spread over noodles. Top ricotta mixture with a 1/3 of the sauce mixture and then sprinkle with a 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat two more times.
Cover pan with foil. Bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 5 more minutes. Let sand and cool for 15 minutes before serving.
What is the best dish to make lasagna in?
Every kitchen needs a great lasagna pan. It needs to be tall enough to handle layers of pasta without spilling over the side and oozing onto the bottom of the oven.
- Tall - Look for a pan that is at least 3 1/2 to 4 inches tall
- Length - at least 12 inches long
- Wide - 8-9 inches wide means you can have 3 noodles on each laye
- If you'd like to make this casserole ahead of time. Make according to directions , cover with foil and refrigerate for 1-2 days. When it's time to bake it, just add 15 minutes to baking time because the dish is cold.
- Let the lasagna rest for 5-7 minutes before you slice it. This will help hold the layers together.
- Grab a block of cheese and shred it yourself if you can. The per-shredded cheese from the store doesn't melt as nicely due to the anti-caking agents.
- If you'd like top the lasagna with pico de gallo, cilantro, lettuce, guacamole, sour cream, diced tomatoes or sliced black olives.
- Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat the lasagna in the baking dish cover it with foil and baking for about 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F. or until cheese is hot and bubbly.
- To reheat a slice in the microwave, place in microwave safe dish and reheat on high for about 2 minutes. If it need to be cooked longer cook in 15-20 second increments.
- Mix up your protein and use ground chicken or turkey instead of beef.
- Throw black or pinto beans, diced bell peppers, corn, or diced jalapenos into your filling.
- Swap the lasagna noodles for corn tortillas.
- Spice it up by adding cayenne pepper to the meat mixture or hot sauce.
Serving: 1 | Calories: 792kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 51g | Fat: 50g | Saturated Fat: 28g | Cholesterol: 218mg | Sodium: 1380mg | Potassium: 695mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1455IU | Vitamin C: 5.9mg | Calcium: 924mg | Iron: 3.7mg