“Baked” Toasted Coconut Red Velvet Donuts ~ Easy donuts made with a Red Velvet Cake Mix and topped with Cream Cheese Frosting and Toasted Coconut!
Have you ever made donuts in a donut pan before?
My experience goes something like this.
Got two donut pans for my birthday years ago and I was all excited I could make amazing donuts any way I’d like all from the comforts of my home and they would be baked not fried so I could have more of them right?!
I got to work and made one batch of donuts and less just say all my dreams were quickly swept away and replaced by the memories of terrible donuts that were so dry I just couldn’t think to try again, so two and half years went by of my life and my donut pans sat discarded in my cupboard. Every time I caught a glimpse of them my heart dropped a little as I can’t stand to have an epic failure in the kitchen and never recover from it.
This story just breaks your heart right?!
I kept seeing all of these recipes around from bloggers and their baked donuts and I was starting to get a bit jealous. If they can do it so can I!
Enter these amazing Baked Toasted Coconut Red Velvet Donuts. Quite the name huh?
They are pure amazingness. Knock of your socks, epic, rock star qualities. They are light and fluffy, moist (remember my previous were terribly dry) and slightly cake like. Well, they are made from a cake mix so go figure! Plus it gives you an excuse to technically eat cake for breakfast. Who is going to turn that down? Not me!
They ridiculously light and fluffy donuts are topping with an rich cream cheese frosting and toasted coconut! Are you drooling yet? I am. I might have to run over to the kitchen and treat myself to another one…..
If you have discarded your donut pan and let it collect dust like I did please for the Love of Mary go dig it out and try these donuts. They will forever change your opinion of that pan. Trust me.
- 1 1/3 cup Red Velvet dry cake mix
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 c. toasted coconut
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a donut pan with non stick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl combine the cake mix, buttermilk, oil and egg. Mixed until combined. Spoon batter into a ziplock bag. Cut the tip off the bag and pipe into donut pan dividing evenly between all six donut forms.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until donuts spring back when pressed. Cool. Remove from donut pan.
- For frosting cream together butter and cream cheese until smooth. Mix in vanilla extract. Slowly add powdered sugar and mix until combined. Spread over donuts. Top with toasted coconut.
Craving more Red Velvet Treats?
Red Velvet Cupcakes ~ Perfect Red Velvet Cupcakes topped with an amazing cream cheese frosting!
Red Velvet Cookies ~ Soft red velvet cookies stuffed with chocolate chips and topped with cream cheese frosting!
Red Velvet Cheesecake Bundt Cake ~ Red Velvet Cake with a surprise swirl of cheesecake through it and topped with cream cheese frosting!