Tender, juicy Baked Chicken Legs that are tossed in a delicious seasoning made with pantry staples then baked. They have an amazing flavor, crispy skin and are a hit at every dinner table!
We love chicken around here and there’s no shortage of chicken recipes on this site including these tender, juicy oven-baked chicken legs. If you’ve been wanting to switch out regular chicken breasts for something new, these crispy legs are the recipe to try!
Baking chicken legs in the oven is so super easy. They’re first seasoned with spices and then all you do is pop them in the oven! It’s one of my favorite main dishes to make because they pretty much go with all the side dishes – macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, and roasted vegetables are just a few favorites!
But, today it’s all about the oven so if you’re ready to learn how to bake chicken legs with deliciously crispy skin keep on scrollin’! I’m sharing all of my best tips with you!
This recipe is so easy – you probably have all of the ingredients for the seasoning sitting in your pantry now! Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Chicken drumsticks
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika
- Chili powder
- Onion powder
I really love to use smoked paprika in the seasoning because it gives the chicken a hint of smokiness like you get when you grill. But if you only have regular paprika that will work, too.
To get really crispy skin you need to thoroughly dry the chicken first. Use paper towels to pat them dry – removing the excess moisture from the skin will make it easier to get that perfectly crispy skin!
Then, just pop the drumsticks in a large resealable bag along with the olive oil. Seal the bag and toss to coat the chicken in the oil. Add all of the seasoning, seal the bag again and toss again to coat the legs evenly with the spices.
For easy clean-up I like to line my baking sheet with foil. Go ahead and lightly coat it with cooking spray to keep the drumsticks from sticking while they bake.
I like to bake them at 425 degrees. The high temperature really helps to crisp the skin. Bake them uncovered on the baking sheet – you don’t have to turn them, just leave them to cook and after about 40 to 45 minutes they’ll be ready!
How do you know when they’re done?
The best way to tell is to check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer. Baked chicken should be cooked to a temperature of at least 165 degrees, but for legs I let them cook longer. Sometimes there are red spots in the meat near the bone and if you cook them a little longer those disappear. The meat will still be really juicy and tender!
You can also just cut into one and check that it’s cooked all the way through. The meat should be thoroughly cooked to the bone and the juices should run clear. But, seriously, I recommend a thermometer – it just makes life so much easier.
How long does baked chicken last?
Cooked chicken lasts for up to four days in the refrigerator. You can enjoy it warmed up, but the skin won’t be as crispy. Sometimes I just pull the meat off the bone and store it for easy sandwiches and salads for lunch. It’s delicious cold or warmed up!
What should I serve with them?
- Any kind of potato dish is great to serve with them like German potato salad, hasselback potatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, or my amazing crack potatoes!
- Add a healthy veggie side dish like glazed carrots, cooked asparagus, or air fryer broccoli.
- They also go great with baked beans, garlic butter noodles, or Parmesan orzo!
No one can resist these crispy-skin chicken legs! Once you try them I’m sure you’ll make them again and again. They’re so easy to make and turn out perfect every time I make them. They’re so delicious!
Have you tried this recipe? I’d love if you would rate it!! A five-star rating will make my day! Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats that way I’m sure to see your pictures!!
Baked Chicken Legs
- 8 chicken drumsticks about 2 lb
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 425 degree F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly spray with non-stick cooking oil. Set aside.
- Remove drumsticks from packaging. Pat them dry with paper towels. Place into a bowl or resealable plastic bag. Add oil oil and toss to coat.
- In a small bowl combine seasonings. Add to bowl/bag and toss until chicken is coated.
- Place drumsticks on the baking sheet. Place in a preheated oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees or higher.
- Technically the internal temperature needs to be 165 degrees F, but I find that there are no bloody spots around the bones if you cook it a little longer and the chicken is fall off the bone tender and juicy.