Banana Nut Bars with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting ~ Fluffy, Delicious Banana Bars Loaded with Walnuts and Topped with Cream Cheese Frosting with a Hint of Cinnamon!
If there’s one thing we can be sure of in life, it’s that our bananas will turn brown. They’ll turn brown and we’ll have to figure out something to do with them so we don’t feel wasteful. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve thrown brown bananas in the trash and felt guilty about it.
Well, I’m all about banishing guilt, which is why I’m sharing this recipe for Banana Nut Bars with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting with you today.
Although the recipe doesn’t specify which kind of nuts to use, I always use walnuts. I love walnuts in banana bread, and I think they are best nuts for these bars, too. You can leave the nuts out, of course. As you see from the pictures, I just put the nuts on top because my kids don’t like them.
Making these could not be easier, especially since the recipe uses oil rather than butter. You don’t have to soften the butter or cream it with the sugar or anything. You just mix oil, sugar, bananas and eggs. Then stir in all the dry ingredients followed by the nuts. That’s it!
Spread the batter in a greased 9×13 pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool completely and voila! You’re done!
Wait. No you’re not. There’s one more thing you need. Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting!
This frosting is kind of necessary for these bars. I’m sorry, but they’re naked without it. All you need is some cream cheese, butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and powdered sugar. Just make sure your cream cheese and butter are soft, then beat them with the vanilla in a medium bowl on low speed until everything is smooth. Then slowly add the powdered sugar and cinnamon, making sure to mix on low (unless you want the sugar be blown out of the bowl and fly all over your face!)
Now that you have this lovely, fluffy, oh-so-delicious frosting prepared, spread it atop your Banana Nut Bars and eat!
Refrigerate any leftovers. If there are any leftovers 🙂
This recipe adapted from Banana Nut Bars in Betty Crocker’s Ultimate Cookie Book.
Fluffy, Delicious Banana Bars Loaded with Walnuts and Topped with Cream Cheese Frosting with a Hint of Cinnamon!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease or spray a 9x13 pan.
- Beat sugar, mashed bananas, oil, vanilla and eggs in a large bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup of flour along with the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the other 1/2 cup of flour and mix until well blended.
- Add the walnuts and mix.
- Pour batter into greased pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs.
- Cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla in a medium bowl on low speed. Gradually add the cinnamon and powdered sugar and beat on low speed until smooth.
- Spread on top of cooled bars.
Connect with Melissa Here!
Try these other great banana desserts!