Grilled BBQ Bacon Twice Baked Potatoes- Tender potato shells stuffed with mashed potatoes flavored with barbecue sauce, bacon and cheddar cheese, and grilled to perfection! Microwaving the potatoes keeps things super easy and keeps the house cool in the summer. You can also bake them in the oven if you desire.
Hi friends! Ashley from The Recipe Rebel joining you again with more bacon and cheese (don’t look at me that way).
I am obsessing over the grill this summer.
This is totally unlike me, but I have to say — I kind of like it! This whole trying to cook seasonally appropriate things is actually a lot of fun. I mean, grilled food and ice cream — what’s not to love?!
I actually love the beginning of all of the seasons: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter — they’re all exciting to start with! The thawing of the snow in Spring, the first real heat of Summer, the turning of the leaves in Fall, and the first snowfall in Winter — I love them. But Summer is the only one I never really want to end! Who’s with me?
I’m definitely enjoying taking advantage of the nice weather (and even the not-as-nice weather) and getting outside to do my cooking.
I’ve been wanting to experiment with some twice-baked potatoes on the grill for quite a while. I am just such a sucker for comfort food! I thought about cooking the potatoes on the grill first, but I didn’t really want to babysit them for an hour and make sure they didn’t burn and the temperature was right. I thought about baking them first in the oven but it’s summer — we don’t do ovens!
So I decided I’d microwave them and it was SO easy! Mine were done in just 8 minutes, which is so much quicker than cooking them any other way. Perfect for maximizing your time outdoors this summer!
You can adjust the fillings and flavorings as you like, but I highly recommend the barbecue sauce — it’s a twist you won’t regret!
- 4 medium potatoes
- 4-5 tbsp milk
- 2-3 tbsp barbecue sauce
- salt to taste
- 3 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
- green onion for garnish
- Place whole potatoes on a plate and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes, until cooked through (you can check if they're cooked by piercing with a sharp knife -- the knife should go in and come out easily with little resistance). Let cool for 5-10 minutes. Slice in half and scoop out potato in the middle, leaving enough around the edge for a sturdy shell.
- Mash removed potato with milk, barbecue sauce and salt. Stir in bacon (reserving some for garnish if desired) and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Divide mashed potatoes between potato shells (*At this point you can refrigerate up until ready to cook and serve).
- Preheat the grill to roughly 400 degrees F. Increase heat on one side of the grill and turn heat off on the other. Place potatoes on the side with the heat off, and grill for 15-20 minutes until heated through. Sprinkle with additional cheese, bacon and green onion if desired.
Connect with Ashley Here!
Things You Might Need for this Recipe!
You might also like these Perogy-Stuffed Shells!
Or these Grilled BBQ Chicken Potato Skins!