Amazing Homemade Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting ~ Easy, Homemade Chocolate Fudge Cake Recipe Topped with the BEST Chocolate Frosting! Anyone Can Make This Moist Homemade Cake!
Once upon a time I couldn’t eat chocolate. Seriously. It was HORRIBLE. I would get terrible stomach cramps and want to die. Like to the point that chocolate didn’t even tempt me. That’s how terrible it was! One time I tried to eat it to see if it still did that to me and let’s just say I didn’t try that for a LONG time again. Then, my friends, I had children. Somewhere in there it fixed me. I can now eat chocolate with no problem. Weird, right? That’s about the only thing they “fixed” I’m pretty sure! I’m so thankful that I can now bury my face in this Amazing Homemade Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting!
This Homemade Chocolate Cake Recipe comes from my husband’s mother and she called it “Cocoa Fudge Cake with Never Fail Chocolate Frosting”. I renamed it because I think of Fudge Cake having a gooey, melty center. This cake has a more chocolate cake consistency although it’s still epic!
Want to know what else is epic? Better Than Sex Cake! If you haven’t tried that one it’s another one of my all-time favorites!
My sister-in-law happened to make it for a dessert one day and I took one bite and then all the angels started singing in heaven, or at least that’s what happened in my mind!
Here’s the thing, usually I really don’t get that excited over cake. Sure, I take a piece if someone gives it to me, but it’s not like I’m going to be like I’M TOTALLY CRAVING CAKE RIGHT NOW. Now cookies on the other hand I totally crave.
So let’s just say, when I’m craving a chocolate cake recipe you know it’s pretty dang good!
I think it might be because that chocolate frosting is so awesome. Just look at it in that picture above. It’s gets this really thin hard shell on it and then you slice through that and it’s all melty and delicious. See I told you. Heaven. Angels Singing. You get the picture.
Don’t mind me while I go and wipe the drool off my keyboard. You should do the same. Just saying.
Personally, I like to top mine with a good old scoop of ice cream, but this chocolate fudge cake is so amazing it can be ate naked. Yes, I’m giggling at write naked. I’m pretty much a 12 year old boy at heart apparently.
Ok, I know you are all FREAKING out because it’s totally homemade. I get it, it usually kind of scares me, but guess what? It’s totally easy. Like as in dump ALL the ingredients together and mix. That’s pretty dang easy isn’t it? I mean you don’t even have to follow a certain order!
Plus, the ingredients are normal!
Ingredients Needed for Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting
- All-purpose flour
- White sugar
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Butter flavored shortening
See, told you so! I bet almost all of them are in your house right now and you can actually pronounce them all!
So, what are you waiting for? Make this cake stat! I’m sure there’s something to celebrate with this Chocolate Cake Recipe!
You can totally invite me over to celebrate too. I’ll help you for sure!
Tools Needed to Make Homemade Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting!
- Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer ~ If you haven’t bought one of these yet, then I don’t know how you made it through life. I adore my stand mixer, but it you are on a budget this hand mixer will totally work!
- Saucepan ~ I love the non-stick saucepans because, well, sometimes I’m a little bit of a space cadet and need the non-stick option 😉
- 9 x 13 inch pan ~ You can totally get a non-stick cake pan, glass cake pan or ceramic like I used. Just watch the baking time, they vary a little!
More Delicious Cake Recipes
- Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Oreo Poke Cake
- Easy Fresh Strawberry Cake
- Chocolate Angel Food Cake with Strawberry Sauce
Enjoy friends! This cake will be your new favorite!
Homemade Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting
- 1 2/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c. white sugar
- 2/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c. buttermilk
- 1/2 c. butter flavored shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. white sugar
- 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1/4 c. milk
- dash of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 9 x 13 inch pan and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl beat together all ingredients on low, for 30 seconds, scraping bowl as needed. Continue to beat on high speed for 3 additional minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until cake tests done (insert toothpick into center and it should be clean when pulled out).
- Remove cake from oven and cool.
- Meanwhile to prepare frosting, mix all frosting ingredients, except vanilla, in a medium size saucepan. Cook and stir until it comes to a rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute while stirring.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Add 1 tsp vanilla. Beat with hand mixer until spreading consistency (smooth and thick). Spread over prepared cake.
- Store in air tight container 2-3 days.