Better Than Cake, also known as Better Than Anything Cake, if you want to keep it a little more PG, is an amazing chocolate poke cake that’s drizzled with sweetened condensed milk, caramel sauce, whipped topping and toffee bits. BTS cake is the perfect cake to enjoy at holidays, parties and potlucks!
We’re getting real serious today about dessert! I mean, with a name like this do I even have to write a post? Everything you need to know is in the name! Of course, I am going to share everything about this decadent chocolate cake with caramel and toffee bits, but if you want to just skip to the printable recipe and get baking more power to you!
I love anything chocolate like my simple Chocolate Cake and German Chocolate Brownies, but this BTS cake I’m sharing today… well, it’s amazing! It’s also known as Better than Anything Cake, which I like to think is its public name. You know, for neighborhood potlucks, church gatherings and kid-friendly parties because I’m not sure I want to announce, “Hey! I brought a Better than Cake!” with mixed company if you know what I mean. Now, when I’ve made this for girls-night-in it’s a whole other story. This cake definitely gets everyone laughing because of the name!
Why This Recipe Works!
- Starts with a boxed cake mix to make it super easy to make with no-fuss!
- The German Chocolate Cake is topped with condensed milk, caramel, Cool Whip and Toffee to make it out of this world ooey-gooey and rich!
- Check out our make ahead tips to make it a few days in advance. Just top it and serve it when you are ready to enjoy!
If you’d rather skip my (very helpful, I think) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this delicious recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
- German chocolate cake mix plus the ingredients listed on the box to prepare it – You could also use a Devils’ Food Cake mix instead of German Chocolate.
- Sweetened condensed milk – Make sure this isn’t evaporated milk!
- Caramel ice cream topping – Instead of caramel try hot fudge sauce or do half of each!
- Cool Whip – If you’d like to make homemade whipped cream you can top it with that instead of Cool Whip, but I’m all about easy!
- Toffee bits – You can use Heath or Skor candy bars for the topping.
How do I make it?
- Prepare Cake Mix – Prepare the cake batter following the instructions on the box. Pour the batter into a 9×13″ baking dish.
- Bake Cake – Place the cake in the oven and bake for the time listed on the box. Once baked, pull it out of the oven and poke holes in the cake with a wooden spoon handle.
- Top Cake – Pour the condensed milk over the cake. Once it’s absorbed, pour the caramel topping over the top.
- Cool & Finish Cake – Chill the cake in the refrigerator until it’s completely cooled, about 2 hours. Then top it with the Cool Whip and sprinkle the toffee bits over the top.
What tools do I need?
Do you need to refrigerate it?
Yes, I recommend refrigerating this poke cake because of the sweetened condensed milk. First, once the cake absorbs the milk, it needs to set and chilling the cake helps with that. Second, sweetened condensed milk is not shelf-stable once it’s been opened. For this cake, the condensed milk is not cooked since you pour it over the cake after it’s baked, so it’s better to keep leftover cake stored in the refrigerator.
Make Ahead Directions
If you want to prepare this ahead of time we recommend adding the whipped topping and other toppings right before serving. Make sure you store it in the refrigerator until you serve it.
Can I freeze it?
Yes, you can this cake! I recommend freezing it without the toppings. Just wrap it tightly and keep it in the freezer for up to three months. Thaw it in the fridge before you frost and serve it.
More Poke Cake Recipes!
- Family favorite we’ve been making for years! Jello Poke Cake starts with a box mix and is topped with strawberry Jell-O, vanilla pudding and Cool Whip
- If your mouth isn’t watering over Carrot Poke Cake that’s loaded with carrots, coconut and pineapple, then topped with a buttermilk glaze and cinnamon cream cheese frosting I don’t know what you will love!
- Love Oreos? You’ll flip over this Oreo Poke Cake that starts with a chocolate cake mix and is topped with Oreos!
- This delicious Apple Poke Cake with Dulce de Leche starts with a white cake mix that’s leveled up with a few additional spices and apple pie filling for a fall flavor.
I’d love it you would rate this recipe!! A five-star rating will make my day!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats that way I’m sure to see your pictures!!
Better Than Sex Cake
- 1 German Chocolate Cake Mix + Ingredients to prepare water, vegetable oil, eggs etc
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 16 oz jar caramel ice cream topping
- 8 oz cool whip
- Toffee bits
- In a medium sized mixing bowl prepare cake mix as directed on box. Bake according to directions on box in a 9 x 13 inch cake pan.
- Remove from oven and immediately poke holes in the cake with a wooden spoon. Pour sweetened condensed milk into holes until milk is absorbed. Repeat with caramel ice cream topping.
- Place in refrigerator and let cool completely.
- Remove from refrigerator after it is cool and spread cool whip over the cake. Sprinkle with toffee bits as desired.
- Store in refrigerator.