Better Than Sex Cake, also known as Better Than Anything Cake, if you want to keep it a little more PG, is an amazing chocolate poke cake that’s drizzled with sweetened condensed milk, caramel sauce, whipped topping and toffee bits. BTS cake is the perfect cake to enjoy at holidays, parties and potlucks!
Amazing Better Than Sex Cake!
We’re getting real serious today about dessert! I mean, with a name like “Better than Sex Cake” do I even have to write a post? Everything you need to know is in the name! Of course, I am going to share everything about this decadent chocolate cake with caramel and toffee bits, but if you want to just skip to the printable recipe and get baking more power to you!
I love anything chocolate like my simple Chocolate Cake and German Chocolate Brownies, but this BTS cake I’m sharing today… well, it’s amazing! It’s also known as Better than Anything Cake, which I like to think is its public name. You know, for neighborhood potlucks, church gatherings and kid-friendly parties because I’m not sure I want to announce, “Hey! I brought a Better than Sex Cake!” with mixed company if you know what I mean. Now, when I’ve made this for girls-night-in it’s a whole other story. This cake definitely gets everyone laughing because of the name!
Well, whatever you want to call it this cake is not for the faint of heart. It’s a German chocolate poke cake, which means after it’s baked you punch a bunch of holes in it, pour condensed milk and caramel over the top and all of that ooey-gooey richness absorbs into the cake. It’s topped with Cool Whip and toffee bits and, when you’re ready to serve it, you get rich chocolate cake with the rich caramel filling. Ugh, I can’t with this cake. It’s so, so good.
Better Than Sex Cake Ingredients
If you’d rather skip my (very helpful, I think) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this delicious Apple Monkey Bread recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
- German chocolate cake mix plus the ingredients listed on the box to prepare it
- sweetened condensed milk
- caramel ice cream topping
- Cool Whip
- toffee bits
How do I make Better Than Sex Cake?
- Prepare Cake Mix – prepare the cake batter following the instructions on the box. Pour the batter into a 9×13″ baking dish.
- Bake Cake – bake the cake for the time listed on the box. Once baked, pull it out of the oven and poke holes in the cake with a wooden spoon.
- Top Cake – pour the condensed milk over the cake. Once it’s absorbed, pour the caramel topping over the top.
- Cool & Finish Cake – chill the cake in the refrigerator until it’s completely cooled. Once cooled, top it with the Cool Whip and sprinkle the toffee bits over the top.
What tools do I need to make BTS Cake?
- mixing bowl
- 9×13″ baking dish
- wooden spoon
What is Robert Redford Cake?
Robert Redford Cake is a layered pudding cake with a buttery nut crust. It gets it’s name because it’s the “next best thing to Robert Redford”, although there are some variations claiming to be “better than Robert Redford”. It’s a different cake than the one I’m sharing today, but they have one thing in common – they are totally decadent and some think are better than you-know-what!
Do you have to refrigerate cake with sweetened condensed milk?
Yes, I recommend refrigerating this poke cake because of the sweetened condensed milk. First, once the cake absorbs the milk, it needs to set and chilling the cake helps with that. Second, sweetened condensed milk is not shelf-stable once it’s been opened. For this cake, the condensed milk is not cooked since you pour it over the cake after it’s baked, so it’s better to keep leftover cake stored in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze poke cake?
Yes, you can freeze poke cake! I recommend freezing it without the toppings. Just wrap it tightly and keep it in the freezer for up to three months. Thaw it in the fridge before you frost and serve it.
How many types of cake are there?
For poke cakes, there are endless variations! I’ve linked to some of my favorites below, but pretty much any flavor combination you can think of can be turned into a poke cake. There are also different variations of “Better than Sex ” cakes but most of the ones you’ll find are some combination of chocolate cake, caramel sauce, and toffee.
Whatever you decide to call this decadent chocolate cake I know you’re going to love it!
More Easy Poke Cakes!
Poke Cakes are always a hit wherever I bring them and there are so many delicious twists on these easy cake recipes. Make sure to try a few of these other ones!
- Jello Poke Cake
- Carrot Poke Cake
- Oreo Poke Cake
- Gingerbread Poke Cake
- Hummingbird Poke Cake
- Key Lime Pie Poke Cake
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS BETTER THAN SEX CAKE RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time a post a new video!
I’d love it you would rate this recipe!! A five-star rating will make my day!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats that way I’m sure to see your pictures!!
Better Than Sex Cake
- 1 German Chocolate Cake Mix + Ingredients to prepare water, vegetable oil, eggs etc
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 16 oz jar caramel ice cream topping
- 8 oz cool whip
- Toffee bits
- In a medium sized mixing bowl prepare cake mix as directed on box. Bake according to directions on box in a 9 x 13 inch cake pan.
- Remove from oven and immediately poke holes in the cake with a wooden spoon. Pour sweetened condensed milk into holes until milk is absorbed. Repeat with caramel ice cream topping.
- Place in refrigerator and let cool completely.
- Remove from refrigerator after it is cool and spread cool whip over the cake. Sprinkle with toffee bits as desired.
- Store in refrigerator.