Pumpkin Butter is a quick and easy recipe perfect for fall that takes only about 30 minutes to make. Learn how to make it using canned pumpkin puree. It’s perfect for topping toast, biscuits, muffins, scones and much more!
It’s fall and that means all things pumpkin! Of course, there’s your quintessential Pumpkin Pie, but there are so many more recipes out there that are delightful! For example, this easy pumpkin butter.
It only requires a handful of ingredients and about 30 minutes. After you are done making it smear it on a thick, hearty piece of English Muffin Bread. It makes the perfect breakfast or snack for an afternoon pick me up!
Give me that toast and a hot mug of coffee and all is right in the world! I really need to perfect making an Americano with pumpkin at home instead of having to frequent my favorite local coffee shop.
What do I need to Make Pumpkin Butter?
If you’d rather skip my (very helpful, I think) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this delicious pumpkin butter recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
- Pumpkin puree
- Apple juice
- Ground ginger
- Ground cloves
- Light brown sugar
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground cinnamon
How to Make Pumpkin Butter
- Combine Ingredients – The first step is to combine the ingredients in a dutch oven, stir to combine.
- Cook – Heat mixture over medium heat and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until thickened.
- Cool – Cool and transfer to air tight container.
What is pumpkin butter made of?
It is made of a pumpkin puree in addition to apple juice and spices. Then it is simmered until it is reduced so it is thick and creamy.
Is can pumpkin butter safe?
It is not safe to can it. This is because of its low acidity. Due to the low acidity the growth of bacteria will not be suppressed when it is canned.
What is a substitute for pumpkin butter?
You can substitute butter for pumpkin butter with a 1:1 ratio. Simply add it instead of butter or vice versa. You could also do half of each!
Is pumpkin spice made from pumpkin?
No it is a blend of spices like cinnamon, ground ginger, cloves and nutmeg. It is typically used in pumpkin pie and other desserts.
More delicious recipes using Pumpkin!
Love pumpkin? Here are a few of our favorite recipes using pumpkin. They are perfect for an easy fall dessert or treat.
- Pumpkin Dip – Perfect sweet no-bake treat for fall! It’s creamy from the cream cheese base and is perfectly spiced with a combination of cinnamon and ginger.
- Pumpkin Pancakes – Perfect amount of pumpkin spice in these light and fluffy pancakes!
- Pumpkin Bread – Tender, moist and delicious and loaded with warm spices.
Try it and love it? Rate it, please!!! ? Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day! If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy dip!!
- 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 c. apple juice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ¾ c. light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- In a large dutch oven or saucepan combine pumpkin, apple juice, spices and sugar. Stir well. Heat over medium heat and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Cool and transfer to airtight container in the refrigerator until serving.
You can sub pumpkin butter for butter in any recipe with a 1:1 ratio.
This first appeared on The Salty Marshmallow