This delicious lasagna is made healthy with spaghetti squash! Spaghetti Squash Lasagna is a great low carb recipe that still gives you all the flavor of lasagna. It’s a hit with the family and leaves you feeling good!
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
Are you a big fan of spaghetti squash like me? We just love it in our home! So I thought I’d take my Stuffed Lasagna Spaghetti Squash recipe and make a more traditional meal. This Spaghetti Squash Lasagna has layers of spaghetti squash noodles, cheese, and a meat sauce to make it just like real lasagna without all the carbs! You guys have asked for healthy meals, so here it is. It was even approved by my meat and potatoes kind of husband!
One that even the kids won’t turn their noses up at! Seriously, they LOVED it. A meal that’s healthy and both the kids and husband enjoy is a win in my book!
And shhhh! Whatever you do, don’t tell them it’s healthy!
Oh yes, this is a thing! Tender squash, topped with a meaty sauce and cheesy goodness. It’s baked until golden brown and bubbly; served up just like your favorite lasagna that uses pasta – only healthier!
We actually love spaghetti squash around here and it’s one of our go to side dishes. Usually I just roast it, shred it and throw it in a skillet with some garlic and then serve it as a side dish. But today I decided to make it a meal for you since you guys seem to struggle with healthy meals that will please your family like I do! The keys for healthy meals around here are that they have to be ate by the entire family because I’m not a short order cook and that we truly do enjoy them and don’t think of them as “weird”!
What are the health benefits of eating spaghetti squash lasagna?
Spaghetti squash only contains about 4 grams of carbohydrates per serving and about 20 calories. It’s rich in vitamin C also. Spaghetti squash is a great non-starchy vegetable, full of tasty nutrition!
How do you cook spaghetti squash?
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with foil or a silicone baking mat.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, remove seeds and membrane.
- Place spaghetti squash, cut side down, on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until tender and it shreds easily with a fork like noodles.
For a great step-by-step spaghetti squash tutorial – click here.
When the spaghetti squash is done cooking, be sure to remove the surplus water from the “noodles” – just use a paper towel and press out the excess moisture. If you don’t take the extra step of removing the water the Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Recipe won’t set up and will be watery.
Shopping list for Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Recipe
- Spaghetti squash
- Lean ground beef
- Yellow onion
- Italian seasoning
- Marinara sauce
- Cottage cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
Directions for Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
- While the squash is cooking, brown hamburger with garlic, diced yellow onion and Italian seasoning. Break up meat and cook until completely browned, drain grease and set aside.
- Press excess moisture out of noodles with a paper towel.
- Lightly coat a 8” x 8” baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Evenly layer half of spaghetti squash, half of marinara sauce, half ground meat and half cottage cheese in baking dish. Repeat with second layer. Evenly top with Parmesan cheese and Mozzarella.
- Bake in a preheated oven and for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly!
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna is a terrific low carb option to a traditional Italian meal. The squash gives you all the flavor of your standard lasagna AND you’ll feel good about serving it! Healthy and delicious everyone will be asking for seconds!
What’s your favorite way to lighten up a traditional meal?
If you love this recipe, be sure and click thru to get my recipe for Lasagna Soup – you’ll love this recipe too!
Be sure to snap a photo of this with the hashtag #JuliesEatsAndTreats or if you post on Instagram, you can find me @JuliesEatsAndTreats – when you give this a try leaving a comment below, I’d love to hear from you!
- 1 small spaghetti squash 3.5 - 4 lbs
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 yellow onion finely diced
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 24 oz marinara sauce
- 3 c. low fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 c. Mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with foil or a silicone baking mat. Set aside. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Remove seeds and membrane. Place spaghetti squash, cut side down, on prepared baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until tender and it shreds easily with a fork like noodles.
- While squash is cooking, brown hamburger in large skillet with garlic, diced yellow onion and Italian seasoning. Break up meat and cook until completely browned, drain grease and set aside.
- When spaghetti squash is done cooking, remove from oven and reduce oven heat to 350 degrees F. Scrap spaghetti squash flash into stringy noodles. Press excess moisture out of noodles with a paper towel.
- Lightly coat a 8'' x 8'' baking dish with nonstick spray. Evenly layer half of spaghetti squash, half of marinara sauce, half ground meat and half cottage cheese in baking dish. Repeat with second layer. Evenly top with Parmesan cheese and Mozzarella.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.