Quick and easy No Bake Special K Bars are a favorite chocolate and peanut butter treat! Chewy, ooey, gooey peanut butter cereal bars that are topped with an easy chocolate and butterscotch frosting. These are perfect for bake sales, potlucks, a treat after school and so much more.
I am all about the easy dessert bars, and there’s nothing I love more than a no-bake cereal bar! These Special K bars are definitely a favorite – if you like scotcheroos and Rice Krispies treats, you are going to love them!
What are Special K bars?
They are a no-bake dessert bar made with Kellogg’s Special K cereal. They are made with peanut butter and topped with a butterscotch and chocolate topping. Each bite is a crispy, chewy, sweet treat.
I love to make these for all kinds of occasions – they’re great for potlucks and parties. I’ve made them for bake sales and the kid love to have them for after school snacks. They’re also great for the kids soccer games or other sports practices as a special treat.
No need to turn on the oven for these no bake bars. You’re going to love how easy they are to make.
- White sugar and light corn syrup add sweetness and also help bind the cereal so the bars stay together. The corn syrup also gives the bars a soft and chewy texture.
- Creamy peanut butter or you can use chunky peanut butter if you want to add a little more texture to the bars.
- Special K Cereal – I highly recommend using this brand of cereal, but you can make them with plain corn flakes, too.
- Butterscotch chips and semi-sweet chocolate chips are melted and spread over the top for the finishing touch!
How to Make Them
Make the peanut butter mixture: In a large saucepan, Heat the sugar and corn syrup over medium-low heat. Stir frequently and don’t let the mixture boil. Once the sugar is dissolved, add the peanut butter and vanilla. Stir to combine and remove the pan from the heat.
Make the bar mixture: Pour the cereal into a large bowl and add the peanut butter mixture. Stir to coat the cereal evenly in the peanut butter. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and press it into an even layer.
Make the topping: Place the butterscotch chips and chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat them for one minute and stir. Microwave them again in 10 to 15-minute increments or until they are melted and smooth. Spread the mixture over the bars in the pan.
Chill: Place the pan in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes or until the topping is firm. Cut into bars and serve!
Scotcheroos are made with Rice Krispies cereal and Special K bars are made with Special K cereal.
The key to soft and chewy bars is not overcooking the sugar and corn syrup mixture. You want to heat it but not let it boil, so keep an eye on it and adjust the heat if necessary.
If you keep them in the refrigerator they will also harden, so it’s a good idea to let them sit out at room temperature to soften before serving them.
They will keep well for up to a week at room temperature. You can keep them in the fridge, too, but they will harden and will need to sit at room temperature to soften. You can also freeze them!
Ready to make a batch of these easy Special K bars? The combination of chocolate, peanut butter, and butterscotch with the crispy cereal is the best! They will be a hit with the kids and the adults – I can promise you that. Enjoy!
More No-Bake Recipes
- Cereal Bars with Cheerios, M&Ms, and peanuts are a super easy dessert bar that takes less than 30 minutes to make.
- For a great snack, make a batch of Peanut Butter Granola Bars. No baking required!
- Cheerio Bars are super easy and perfect for potlucks, sports snacks, or anytime!
Don’t forget, comment below and let me know how much you love this treat!
If you post a picture on Instagram and be sure to tag me so I can see it too! I’m loving all of your delicious foodie pics!
You can find me at @julieseatsandtreats or just #julieseatsandtreats. If you hashtag me, I’ll get to see it that way too!
Special K Bars
- 1 c. white sugar
- 1 ¼ c. light corn syrup
- 1 c. creamy peanut butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 6 c. Special K Cereal
- 1 c. butterscotch chips
- 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Coat a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine sugar and corn syrup in a large saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until melted. Do not bring to a boil. Add peanut butter and vanilla. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Put cereal in a large mixing bowl. Add peanut butter mixture; stir until thoroughly coated. Press onto the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- Microwave butterscotch morsels and semi-sweet chocolate chips in a large, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute; stir. Morsels may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until smooth. Spread over cereal mixture.
- Refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes or until the topping is firm. Cut into bars.