Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies are soft, chewy, fudgy and so easy to make! You only need five ingredients and 30 minutes to make this easy cookie recipe loaded with chocolate.
It doesn’t get much easier than cake mix cookies! In fact, one of my favorite Christmas cookies is a cake mix cookie! They’re just so simple and always turn out gooey and delicious.
These chocolate cake mix cookies are the perfect chewy double chocolate chip cookie. This recipe is perfect to get your kiddos involved in the baking process and have a little fun in the kitchen. Cake mix cookies are a go to when we need a simple sweet treat!
Why You’ll Love Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- This easy chocolate cookie recipe makes two dozen cookies, making it the perfect simple cookie for birthday parties or large group gatherings.
- These simple cake mix cookies use ingredients that you most likely already have in your pantry.
- There are three different chocolate elements in this cookie. Talk about chocolatey goodness!
Ingredients for Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate cake mix – Use your favorite chocolate cake mix as the base for this cookie. I personally love to use triple fudge for maximum chocolate, but any mix will do!
- Cocoa powder – Yes, this recipe calls for added cocoa powder and no, there is no such thing as too much chocolate!
- Salted butter – Salted butter helps to bring out the chocolate flavor, but you can substitute unsalted butter and a pinch of salt.
- Dark chocolate chips – You can’t have a chocolate chip cookie without the chocolate chips! You can substitute milk chocolate or semi-sweet if you prefer.
- Eggs – This will help give the cookies structure.
How to Make Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
Empty the contents of the chocolate cake mix into a large mixing bowl and add the cocoa powder. Whisk the two together until fully incorporated.
Add the eggs and butter to the dry ingredients and use a hand mixer or stand mixer to beat the ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
Add the chocolate chips to the batter and gently fold them in until evenly distributed.
Using a spoon or cookie scoop, form dough balls of about 1 1/2 tbsp of dough.
Place your chocolate cake mix cookies onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake!
Storage Tips for Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
Chocolate cake mix cookies can be stored at room temperature for 3-5 if kept in an airtight container. Keep in mind, the longer they are stored they will begin to dry out.
FRIDGE: These cookies will last about 7-10 days in an airtight container kept in the fridge.
FREEZER: Freeze cake mix chocolate chip cookies for up to 2 months in an airtight container.
Do I Have to use chocolate cake mix?
Not necessarily! This easy chocolate cookie recipe is really adaptable. Start with any type of cake mix and make a crazy good cookie. If you choose to make a cookie that is not chocolate, replace the cocoa powder with all-purpose flour.
Can I substitute the Chocolate Chips?
You can swap chocolate chips for white chocolate or even peanut butter or butterscotch. If you don’t like those options, try adding in some nuts! Walnuts or pecans would taste great in this cookie!
Can I use oil instead of melted butter?
Yes! You can substitute vegetable oil for melted butter, just note that they make have a bit of a different texture.
Pro Tips for the Best Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Take “cake mix” cookies literally and top your gooey cookies with icing and maybe even add some sprinkles!
- Dust the top of your cookies with powdered sugar to give them the crinkle cookie look.
- Change up the size of your cookies! These cake mix cookies are perfect to make bite sized cookies. Just adjust the baking time accordingly.
There you have it! A fail-proof chocolate chip cookie that takes just 30 minutes to make.
More Cookie Recipes You’ll Love
- These classic M&M Cookies are always a hit!
- If you need a classic Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, you’ll love these!
- Bring the campfire indoors with these S’mores Cookies.
- Oatmeal Cookies can get a bad rap, but these are so yummy!
- This Chocolate Cherry Cookie recipe is an easy, homemade cookies recipe that is easy to make and freezes great.
- Double Chocolate Strawberry Oreos are super easy cake mix cookies filled with strawberry chocolate ganache and strawberry frosting.
- These quick and easy Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies only require six ingredients that you probably already have!
- Zucchini Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe are Soft, Delicious Cookies Stuffed with Zucchini and Raisins then Frosted with Cream Cheese Frosting!
- These thick and delicious Sugar Cookies are easy to make, hold their shape and have plenty of room to frost!
- Turtle Cookie Cups have all the flavors of your favorite Turtles candy in cookie form!
- 15.25 ounce box chocolate cake mix
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup salted butter melted (1 stick)
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the chocolate cake mix and cocoa powder.
- Use a hand or stand mixer to beat in the eggs and melted butter until completely combined, about 1-2 minutes. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl while mixing.
- Add in the dark chocolate chips to the cookie dough and mix well.
- Use a 1 ½ Tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop out cookie dough and roll it gently into a ball. If you find that the dough is sticking to your hand or the scoop, you can use an extra sprinkle of cocoa powder to prevent it from sticking. Place dough balls onto prepare baking sheet.
- Repeat until the cookie sheets are full of dough about 1 ½ inches apart or until you use all of your dough.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes or until crinkly and set on the edges. Do not overbake.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack or serving warm.
- Chocolate cake mix cookies can be stored at room temperature for 3-5 if kept in an airtight container. Keep in mind, the longer they are stored they will begin to dry out.
- FRIDGE: These cookies will last about 7-10 days in an airtight container kept in the fridge.
- FREEZER: Freeze cake mix chocolate chip cookies for up to 2 months in an airtight container.