Fudgy, chewy, soft Halloween Monster Cookies are an easy Halloween recipe that everyone will love. Loaded with chocolate chips, M&MS and decorated with candy eyes make these hard to resist!
I think candy eyeballs may be the most fun item to bake with around Halloween. I can make so many different creations with a bit of added spook just by using candy googly eyes! These Halloween monster cookies are no exception. A perfect double chocolate chip cookie, loaded with Halloween themed M&M’s and topped with a few funky eyeballs staring back at you.
When it’s spooky season, we have to have spooky desserts, right? Make these super fun monster eyeball cookies and then whip up a batch of dracula dentures too. Then you’ll have the most fun, silly and tasty dessert table for your Halloween party. What’s better than the desserts doubling as the decorations?
Why You’ll Love Halloween Monster Mash Cookies
- You only need 15 minutes to prep a batch of monster Halloween cookies! Then while they chill in the refrigerator, you can perfect your spooky costume.
- These monster eyeball cookies are great for parties, cookie swaps, and gifts. Make an extra large batch and hand them out to friends!
- Halloween monster mash cookies are kid friendly and super tasty. Once you make these, you’ll realize it isn’t that difficult to make delicious cookies from scratch.
Ingredients for Halloween Monster Cookies
- All purpose flour – You just need simple all purpose flour as the base of this Halloween monster cookie recipe.
- Cocoa powder – Make double chocolate cookies by adding cocoa powder to the cookie batter.
- Brown sugar – Using both brown sugar and white sugar adds depth of flavor and sweetness to these tasty cookies.
- Mini chocolate chips – Semi-sweet chocolate chips are what I typically reach for when I’m baking, but you can use milk chocolate or dark chocolate chips too.
- Salt – A little pinch of salt helps balance out all the sweetness of double chocolate cookies.
- Baking powder – Baking powder is a rising agent that will help keep these cookies fluffy and chewy.
- Instant coffee granules – This is optional but I really recommend it! It makes the flavor of these cookies just crazy good.
- Eggs – Allow eggs to come to room temperature before mixing into the cookie dough.
- Butter – You can use salted butter if you don’t have unsalted on hand. However, I’d recommend leaving the salt out if you use salted butter.
- Vanilla extract – A dash of vanilla extract adds great flavor to these cookies.
- White sugar – Use white granulated sugar to make these cookies extra sweet!
- Mini M&Ms – I like to grab Halloween colored M&Ms to make these cookies super festive.
- Candy eyeballs – You can typically find these in the baking aisle or candy aisle around Halloween. But if you have trouble locating them, just order some online!
How to Make Halloween Monster Cookies
Add softened butter, brown sugar and white sugar to a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat ingredients together using an electric mixer or stand mixer on medium speed until fluffy.
Then, add eggs and pure vanilla extract and blend for one more minute. Set to the side.
In a separate bowl, whisk together all purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and coffee granules.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients a little at a time and mix on low speed until combined. Then, fold in the chocolate chips and M&M’s until fully combined.
Cover the bowl of cookie dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
While refrigerating, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Take the Halloween monster cookie dough out of the refrigerator and use a cookie scoop to make 1 1/2 inch cookie dough balls. Place them on the previously prepared baking sheet 1-2 inches apart.
Use your fingers to flatten them out just a touch. Then place candy eyeballs on top of each cookie dough ball.
Bake the monster eyeball cookies for 8-10 minutes until the edges are set. They may not look done, but go ahead and pull them out of the oven. They will finish setting while they cool!
Allow cookies to cool for 3-5 minutes on the cookie sheet, then transfer them to a wire cooling rack.
Serve when ready or store for later!
How to store Halloween Monster Mash Cookies
Place monster Halloween cookies into an air tight container. Store at room temperature in a cool and dry place for up to a week.
When kept in an air tight container, these cookies can be frozen for up to three months as well!
If you want to freeze the cookie dough, scoop them into cookie dough balls and decorate. Then place the unbaked cookies into the freezer on the baking sheet. Once frozen, transfer to an air tight container and store for up to three months. Bake from frozen and add a few minutes onto the baking time.
Do I have to chill the dough?
Yes! Chilling the dough helps to stabilize the butter and will keep the cookies from spreading too much. If you skip this step, you’re cookies will likely spread too much in the oven and could become a thin and crunchy mess.
What can I use if I don’t have parchment paper?
No parchment paper, no problem! Use non-stick cooking spray to lightly grease your baking sheet, or line the pan with a silicone baking mat. Really, if you have non-stick baking sheets, the cookies may not stick anyway. But let’s not take that risk, and use something to ensure your cookies don’t break to pieces.
- Don’t have a cookie scoop? No worries. Use a large spoon and roll the cookie dough balls in your hands before placing them onto a lined baking sheet.
- If you need things to go more quickly, feel free to use boxed cookie mix and add the candies and candy eyeballs.
- Be sure you don’t overload the cookie dough with too many candies and chocolate chips. Use just the right amount so that each cookie has the perfect amount of candy!
I hope you enjoy the silliest spooky dessert of the season!
More Cookie Recipes You’ll Love
- Need an easy no-bake recipe? Then make these tasty No Bake Cookies!
- Make these classic M&M Cookies anytime of year, for any occasion.
- Cake Mix Cookies are super easy to make and always turn out perfectly delicious!
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules optional
- 1 ¼ cup halloween M&M candies
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 50- 60 candy eyeballs a mixture of small, medium and large
- In a large bowl combine softened butter, brown sugar, and white sugar together on medium speed with a hand mixer or stand mixer until blended and fluffy. Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until fully blended for another minute. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and coffee granules until well blended.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter sugar mixture a little at a time and mix on low speed until full combined, about 3 minutes. Stir in the chocolate chips and m&m candies with a wooden spoon until evenly combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and scoop cookie dough into 1 1/2 inch cookie balls spacing them out 1-2 inches apart, then flatten with your fingers to even them out a bit. Add candy eyes to the top of the cookies using a combination of small, medium or large eyes to create one of a kind monsters!
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are set and the middle is soft, they will not look done but they will set once out, don’t over bake!
- Remove them from the oven and let them cool on the cookie sheet for 3-5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- Store in an air tight container at room temperature for up to a week, if they last that long!