A creamy ground beef and sour cream sauce over egg noodles make this hearty Hamburger Stroganoff a classic dinner recipe that’s always a hit. The thick and creamy sauce with mushrooms is filling and perfect for serving over noodles or mashed potatoes!
When I want an easy comfort food dinner I always go running for this Hamburger Stroganoff recipe. Plus, my family loves it so it’s a win-win situation.
I serve this creamy, rich ground beef sauce over the top of egg noodles, but you could also serve it over rice or mashed potatoes if you’d like.
Another one of my favorite classic comfort foods is Goulash! So easy to make and always a hit.
Why this recipe works:
- Ready in 30 minutes
- Budget friendly, but delicious
- Filling, delicious and easy to make with pantry staples
- Ground Beef – You could also substitute ground turkey or chicken, but I find beef gives it best taste.
- All-purpose flour
- Salt & Pepper
- Sliced mushrooms – I use canned mushrooms because I can keep them in my pantry, but you can also slice up fresh mushrooms. We recommend a white mushroom but you can use cremini or portobello also.
- Cream of Chicken Soup – Seems a little odd, but this is what Mom always used. You can substitute cream of mushroom if you’d like.
- Sour Cream – Another option to lighten it up is use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream or do a half and half mixture.
- Egg Noodles, mashed potatoes or rice
Got beef stew meat instead of ground beef? Make this quick and easy Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff!
Steps to Prepare
- In a skillet saute onion and garlic in butter, stir in ground beef and brown.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper & mushrooms. If there is excess grease drain off grease.
- Stir in soup and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare egg noodles, rice or mashed potatoes according to directions.
- Stir sour cream into hamburger mixture until well combined. Serve of noodles, rice or mashed potatoes. Garnish with minced parsley if desired.
Here’s some ideas on adding a new flavor to your dish!
- A teaspoon of dijon mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
- Dash of smoked paprika
- Splash of hot sauce
- Chop up raw bacon and add it in with the ground beef
- Sprig or two of fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- Make sure to remove the skillet from the heat before stirring in sour cream because if it gets to hot it will curdle.
- If your sauce is to thick stir in a little beef broth to thin it out.
- If you have leftovers refrigerate them in an airtight container for 3-4 days. You can also freeze the stroganoff (not the noodles). Defrost in the refrigerator overnight and warm in microwave or on stovetop in saucepan to reheat.
Get more Stroganoff Recipes!
- Add a little Mexican flair to your night with this comforting Taco Stroganoff.
- Got an Instant Pot? Make this Hamburger Stroganoff in the Instant Pot!
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time a post a new video!
- 1/2 c. minced onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 Tbs flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 oz can sliced mushrooms optional
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1/4 c. butter
- Egg Noodles or Rice
- Saute onion and garlic in butter. Stir in meat and brown.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper & mushrooms. Cook five minutes, drain off grease.
- Stir in soup and simmer, uncovered 10 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream and garnish with parsley.
- Put on noodles or rice. I always use egg noodles.