A creamy ground beef and sour cream sauce over egg noodles make this hearty Hamburger Stroganoff a classic dinner recipe that’s always a hit. The thick and creamy sauce with mushrooms is filling and perfect for serving over noodles or mashed potatoes!
When I want an easy comfort food dinner I always go running for this Hamburger Stroganoff recipe. Plus, my family loves it so it’s a win-win situation.
I serve this creamy, rich ground beef sauce over the top of egg noodles, but you could also serve it over rice or mashed potatoes if you’d like.
Another one of my favorite classic comfort foods is Goulash! So easy to make and always a hit.
Why you’ll love this recipe for Hamburger Stroganoff
- Ready in 30 minutes. Just did a little dance over that one, right?
- Budget friendly, but delicious so the whole family will enjoy it and you won’t need to be a short order cook.
- Filling, delicious and easy to make with pantry staples. That recipe you can always fall back on in a pinch.
Hamburger Stroganoff Recipe Ingredients
- Onion – Dice fresh yellow onion or take the shortcut and grab frozen diced onion at the grocery store.
- Garlic – Fresh is best, but in a pinch we used minced from the refrigerator which is not as flavorful so we add a bit extra.
- Butter – We use salted butter, either will work.
- Ground Beef – You could also substitute ground turkey or chicken, but I find beef gives it best taste.
- All-purpose flour – Cornstarch would also work to thicken it.
- Salt & Pepper – Adjust to your preferences.
- Sliced mushrooms – I use canned mushrooms because I can keep them in my pantry, but you can also slice up fresh mushrooms. We recommend a white mushroom but you can use cremini or portobello also.
- Cream of Chicken Soup – Seems a little odd, but this is what Mom always used. You can substitute cream of mushroom if you’d like.
- Sour Cream – Another option to lighten it up is use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream or do a half and half mixture.
- Egg Noodles, mashed potatoes or rice – Whatever you prefer to serve your beef stroganoff over.
Got beef stew meat instead of ground beef? Make this quick and easy Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff!
How to make Hamburger Stroganoff
- Brown – In a skillet sauté onion and garlic in butter, stir in ground beef and brown.
- Season – Stir in flour, salt, pepper & mushrooms. If there is excess grease drain off grease.
- Mix – Stir in soup and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Noodles – Meanwhile prepare egg noodles, rice or mashed potatoes according to directions.
- Finish & Serve – Stir sour cream into hamburger mixture until well combined. Serve of noodles, rice or mashed potatoes. Garnish with minced parsley if desired.
Flavor Enhancers for Beef Stroganoff with Hamburger
Here’s some ideas on adding a new flavor to your dish!
- A teaspoon of dijon mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
- Dash of smoked paprika
- Splash of hot sauce
- Chop up raw bacon and add it in with the ground beef
- Sprig or two of fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp dried thyme
Expert Tips for Easy Hamburger Stroganoff
- Make sure to remove the skillet from the heat before stirring in sour cream because if it gets to hot it will curdle.
- If your sauce is to thick stir in a little beef broth to thin it out.
- If you have leftovers refrigerate them in an airtight container for 3-4 days. You can also freeze the stroganoff (not the noodles). Defrost in the refrigerator overnight and warm in microwave or on stovetop in saucepan to reheat.
Hamburger Stroganoff Easy Serving Suggestions
We love enjoying this quick and easy 30 minute stroganoff recipe with these side dishes.
- Quick and easy glazed carrots are so easy to make!
- Throw some asparagus in the Air Fryer for perfectly roasted Asparagus!
- No one turns down soft, tender Texas Roadhouse Rolls!!
Get more Stroganoff Recipes!
- Add a little Mexican flair to your night with this comforting Taco Stroganoff.
- Got an Instant Pot? Make this Hamburger Stroganoff in the Instant Pot!
- Have extra stew meat? Use it in this Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff recipe. There’s not cream soups in this recipe!
Love this recipe? Be sure and comment below and leave a 5-star rating! I know you’ll love this delicious recipe as much as we do!
And if you’re like me and snap photos, be sure to tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats that way, I’m sure to see your delicious dish!!!
- ½ c. minced onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 8 oz can sliced mushrooms optional or fresh
- 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom
- 1 c. sour cream
- ¼ c. butter
- Egg Noodles or Rice for serving
- In a large skillet sauté onion in butter over medium-high heat until translucent. Add in minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in meat and brown.
- Add ground beef to skillet and cook until browned.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper & mushrooms in ground beef mixture. Simmer on low five minutes, drain off grease.
- Add soup to skillet and simmer, uncovered 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Stir to completely combine.
- Serve over noodles or rice. I always use egg noodles. Garnish with parsley if desired.