Microwave Caramel Corn
If you are looking for a quick way to make your favorite homemade Caramel Corn recipe you have to try this delicious microwave version! It’s the perfect snack to treat your kids with after school, on movie night or to pack in their lunches or on the bus for events. Makes a great gift at the holidays, too.
I always made my Caramel Corn in the oven, but after I tried this microwave version of my favorite sweet snack I knew you’d love this shortcut to making it too!
It only takes 10 minutes in the microwave so if you are short on time this is the recipe for you.
Why this recipe works:
- Uses pantry staples that you always have in your house so you can make it whenever the urge strikes.
- Makes about 16 cups, so you can bring it to parties, share it or keep it all to yourself.
- Is made in the microwave so it is a quick and easy version that doesn’t take much time.
- Popcorn – Just pop it anyway you like it. I recommend leaving the butter off of it.
- Light brown sugar
- Corn syrup – Helps the caramel not crystalize. Make sure to use light corn syrup (like Karo), not high fructose corn syrup.
- Salt – This will help all your flavor meld in your recipe and balance the sweetness.
- Vanilla extract
- Baking soda – This will help all your flavor meld in your recipe and balance the sweetness.
Steps to Prepare
- Popcorn – Pop the popcorn using your preferred method i.e. stove top, air popper, etc. and place in large bowl.
- Prepare Caramel – Melt the sugar, salt, corn syrup and butter in the microwave for three minutes until bubbly. Stirring at one-minute intervals. Add the vanilla and baking soda, mix well.
- Combine – Put popped popcorn into a brown grocery bag. Pour brown sugar mixture over the popcorn. Shake bag to mix in the caramel.
- Microwave – Now microwave the bag in one-minute intervals three times. After each minute remove the bag and shake it well. Next microwave again for 1 minute and 30 seconds, shaking ever 30 seconds.
- Cool – Pour onto wax paper and let cool.
Do I have to use a paper bag?
No you don’t. I get it, you aren’t sure where that bag was. You can always buy large paper bags, but you can also use a large microwave proof bowl.
Why do you add baking soda to caramel?
When you the baking soda in the caramel mixture it reacts with the acid from the brown sugar and corn syrup. This creates tiny carbon dioxide air bubbles and creates the foaming you see. Once the caramel has cooled on your popcorn the air bubbles inside the caramel create a softer texture!
How do you make it crispy again?
What if it gets soft and isn’t crunchy? Don’t throw it away! Just spread it out on a sheet pan and bake it in the oven at 250 degrees. Stir it every fifteen minutes and bake it until crispy.
More Snack Recipes!
- Still want caramel, but want to mix it up? Try this delicious Caramel Chex Mix.
- The ultimate Snack Mix that combines all your favorite and is tossed in homemade caramel!
- Melt in your mouth White Chocolate Puff Corn is sinfully delicious.
Love this tasty snack! If you love this recipe be sure to give this family favorite five stars!! Tag me with your photos at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!
Microwave Caramel Corn
- 16 c. popcorn about 1/2 c. - 2/3 c. kernels
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. corn syrup
- 1/2 c butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Melt brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, and salt in microwave for 3 minutes, stirring in one minute intervals.
- Add vanilla and baking soda to brown sugar mixture. Mix well.
- Put popped popcorn into a brown grocery bag. Pour brown sugar mixture over the popcorn. Shake bag.
- Put grocery bag in microwave. Microwave for 3 minutes. After each minute take bag out and shake. After three minutes microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Shaking after each 30 second interval. Pour onto wax paper and let cool.
Leave a Comment