Craving a S’more and don’t feel like making a fire? Fill the cookie jar with these S’mores Thumbprint Cookies! Delicious graham cracker cookies topped with mini marshmallows and chocolate for the classic s’mores flavor.
S’mores thumbprint cookies may possibly be one of my most genius creations. Gooey, melty marshmallows and chocolate on top of a soft homemade graham cracker sugar cookie. Is your mouth watering?
I love love love to make these cookies in the summer time! It’s like the most magical way to bring the fun campfire indoors. Plus, I’ve never met a person who would turn down a s’more so that makes these cookies the ultimate crowd pleaser.
Thumbprint cookies are such a fun way to serve a cookie with a little goodie surprise in the middle. Jam thumbprint cookies are the most classic version of these creations, but I also love to make red velvet thumbprint cookies! But these s’mores cookies may have just taken the first place prize.
Why You’ll Love S’mores Thumbprint Cookies
- You only need 35 minutes to make a batch of these cookies!
- These cookies are a great way to bring s’mores indoors when you’re craving the gooey marshmallow goodness, but can’t be around a campfire.
- These are a great cookie to make for parties or to bring to a friend. The combination of flavors is a classic crowd pleaser!
Ingredients for S’mores Thumbprint Cookies
- Flour – Use a high quality all-purpose flour for best results!
- Crushed graham crackers – The easiest way to crush graham crackers is to add them to a double bagged gallon size Ziploc bag and beat with a rolling pin until fine. You can also throw them into a food processor and pulse until finely ground.
- Unsalted butter – Allow your butter to come to room temperature before mixing it into the dough for s’mores cookies.
- Light brown sugar – Using light brown sugar adds a caramel like flavor to the cookie that compliments the graham crackers.
- Vanilla extract – A little splash of vanilla extract helps to add depth of flavor to these yummy cookies.
- Egg – Allow the egg to come to room temperature before mixing it into the cookie dough.
- Almond extract – Almond extract really compliments all of the flavor of s’mores thumbprint cookies.
- Sugar – Using two types of sugar in cookie dough is my secret weapon! It makes these taste so yummy!
- Salt – A little bit of salt helps to balance out all of the different ingredients in the cookie dough.
- Mini marshmallows – You can’t have s’mores without marshmallows!
- Hershey chocolate bars – Feel free to use any other brand of chocolate that you like. Just make sure it’s easy to break into small chunks like the Hershey bar is.
How to Make S’mores Cookies
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit, then begin mixing the cookie ingredients together,
- Add the softened butter, sugar, and brown sugar into a large mixing bowl and mix with a handheld mixer or stand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg, vanilla, and almond extract and mix again until just combined. Lastly, add the salt, flour, and crushed graham crackers to the mixture and mix until combined.
- Scoop out a tablespoon of the mixture and gently roll it into a ball. Place the cookie dough ball onto a cookie sheet and press down gently with your thumb.
- Repeat this process with the rest of the cookie dough until the cookie sheet is full.
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes, then remove the baking sheet from the oven. Place 4 marshmallows and two pieces of a chocolate bar on top of each cookie.
- Then, place the cookies back into the oven for 3 minutes. The marshmallows and chocolate should be just melted when you remove the pan.
- Use the back of a spoon to carefully spread the chocolate and marshmallows over the top of the cookies.
- Allow 10 minutes for the cookies to cool, then transfer them to a cooling rack until they are cooled completely.
How to Store Leftover S’mores Thumbprint Cookies
Let the cookies cool completely and then store them in an airtight container for up to a week. To keep them from sticking together, place sheets of parchment paper between layers when you stack them.
I do not recommend freezing leftover s’mores cookies.
They will keep at room temperature for up to two weeks!
As long as you’ve got the classic marshmallow and chocolate combo, your s’more cookies can be topped with plenty of extra yummies! Chopped pecans or walnuts, crushed pretzel sticks, and M&M’s are just a few of the extra toppings that would be super yummy. A little flaky sea salt on top of each cookie would be good too!
Can I use marshmallow fluff instead of mini marshmallows?
Marshmallow fluff has different ingredients than mini marshmallows. Therefore, I do not recommend you use it as a substitute in this recipe.
- Use the back of a tablespoon to create a well in the center of the cookies if you don’t want to use your thumb.
- Maximize the tastiness of your leftover cookies by popping them in the microwave for a few seconds before you eat one. A warm cookie is always best!
- If you have someone else in the kitchen with you, have them help you place the marshmallows and chocolate on each cookie so that the warmth of the cookies doesn’t melt some toppings faster than other cookies.
Once you taste a s’mores cookie, you may never go back to regular s’mores! Who am I kidding, I’d never give up a campfire s’more…but there’s nothing that says I can’t have both!
More Cookies Recipes
- Almond Cherry Cookies are another type of tasty cookie with a fun surprise in the middle!
- You don’t need a ton of ingredients to make a good cookie. These 3 ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies are insanely good!
- Peanut Butter Blossoms are a classic cookie recipe that just never gets old.
- Loving the thumbprint cookies? Then check out these Chocolate Cherry Thumbprint Cookies!
- Fill your cookie jar with these Snickerdoodle Cookies!
- 1 cup unsalted Butter softened
- ¼ cup light Brown Sugar packed
- ¼ cup granulated Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups graham crackers crushed
- 80 mini marshmallows
- 4 Hershey chocolate bars
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the softened butter and both sugars to a large mixing bowl, mix with a stand mixer or handheld mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, vanilla and almond extract to the mixing bowl and continue to mix until just combined.
- Next, add the salt, flour and crushed graham crackers. Mix until evenly combined.
- Take 1 Tablespoon of the mixture and roll into a ball. Place cookie dough ball on an ungreased cookie sheet and press lightly with your thumb to create a little well.
- Repeat with the remaining mix, filling the cookie sheet with at least a ½” between cookies.
- Place cookies in the preheated oven at 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for 10 minutes then remove the pan from the oven.
- Add 4 marshmallows to each cookie and top with two pieces of chocolate bar.
- Place the cookies back into the oven for 3 minutes and remove. The marshmallows and chocolate should be melted.
- Using the back of a spoon carefully spread the chocolate/marshmallows just a little.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.