If you need a cute and easy Valentine’s Day treat that’s delicious make Valentine’s Hugs that only require three ingredients! The sweet and salty combination of pretzels, hug kisses and M&Ms is irresistible. Change up the colors and make these for any occasion!
I love hugs! Both from another person, and the yummy candy from Hershey’s. A Hershey’s hug is essential one of their kisses wrapped in a layer of creamy white chocolate — can you say yummy? These Valentine’s hugs use that delicious creation, melt it on a crunchy pretzel square, and add a colorful M&M. The result is a salty sweet snack that is just as sweet as the holiday it’s made for!
Pretzel snack like these Valentine’s pretzels, and Rolo pretzels, are always a crowd hit. I love making them for parties or gifts because I can make so many at one time. Plus, they’re a fabulous kid-friendly recipe that your kiddos can help create or even make on their own in the kitchen. You’ll love these happy little treats that are a very sweet and sugary way to show those around you that you L-O-V-E, love them!
Why You’ll Love Valentine’s Hugs
- You can complete this easy recipe in under 20 minutes. Just so easy peasy to make and the best quick dessert for last minute needs!
- Valentine’s hugs are a great party favor and gift for this sweet holiday. Place some into a fun heart shaped tin or a Valentine’s themed cellophane bag and give them out to friends and family.
- Make pretzel hugs with just three ingredients. Nothing fancy or difficult to find, just simple ingredients and an easy to follow recipe.
Ingredients for Valentine’s Day Hugs
- Hershey’s hugs candy – You can use regular Hershey kisses if you prefer, but I really love how Hershey’s hugs taste with this recipe. The surprise of a milk chocolate middle is just so much fun.
- Square pretzels – Square pretzels work best, but you can also use small pretzel twists if you prefer.
- M&Ms – Grab Valentine’s themed M&Ms that are red, pink and white. You can also use regular M&Ms if you prefer, or change up the variety of colors for any other holiday.
How to Make Valentine’s Hugs
Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. While it preheats unwrap all of the Hershey hugs and set them to the side.
Then line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange pretzels on it. I was able to fit 35 pretzels onto my baking sheet. Depending on the size of your abking sheet,you may be able to do more or less.
Top each square pretzel with a Hershey’s hug in the very center of the pretzel. Once each one is in place, carefully transfer the baking sheet to the oven for 3 min and 30 seconds, or until the hugs are just slightly melted.
Remove the pretzels from the oven. Then use a toothpick to jiggle the center of each hug and let the chocolate flood the pretzel.
Gently place an M&M in the center of each hug, ensuring you do not press down or the chocolate may spill over the pretzels.
Place the pretzels on a cooling rack and allow to cool a room temperature. If you need them to cool more quickly, transfer to the fridge or freezer.
Once fully cool and set, place Valentine’s hugs in an airtight container or a cute tin to give as a gift. Or serve immediately and enjoy!
How to Store Valentine’s Day Hugs
Store completed pretzel hugs in an airtight container at room temperature for about a week. If you need to stack the Valentine’s hugs, place parchment paper in between each layer. This will help prevent them from sticking together.
FRIDGE: Extend the life of these Valentine’s pretzels by storing them in the fridge. Place into an airtight container or plastic bag and store in the fridge for about two weeks.
FREEZER: Believe it or not, you can freeze your leftovers! Transfer them to a freezer bag or airtight container. Then store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Variations of Valentine’s Hugs
This simple treat can be adapted for any and all of your favorite holidays. Make them for special occasions and so much more! Here are a few different ways to change up this recipe:
Christmas hugs: Use regular Hershey kisses or hugs and top them with red and green M&Ms. Mint chocolate Hershey kisses or their peppermint bark bells would also be a tasty Christmas twist!
Halloween: Grab the spookiest M&Ms you can find — purple, black, green, and orange are great colors. Use hugs as normal, and Halloween M&Ms on top.
4th of July: Use any hug or Hershey’s kiss on top of a pretzel, topped with red, white or blue M&Ms. A quick and easy patriotic treat!
Easter: While I love my flower pretzels for Easter and springtime, you can also make a version of these Valentine’s hugs that are lovely for spring!
Pro Tips for the Best Flower Pretzels
- Feel free to add anything extra to your pretzels. A little drizzle of caramel sauce or some fun sprinkles are always welcome to join the fun!
- Don’t overheat the hugs when they are in the oven. They typically hold their shape well after being warmed and will need a little coaxing with the toothpick to flatten out. But don’t just keep them in the oven, a few minutes will do! You don’t want to scald the chocolate.
- Quickly place the M&Ms before the chocolate begins to set. If you are making a lot of pretzels at once, this may be a good step to have someone come help you!
These simple Valentine’s pretzels are just the cutest and most simple treat ever. I can’t wait for you to give them a try! If you like sweet and salty snacks, then you’ll be obsessed with Valentine’s hugs.
More Pretzel Recipes You’ll Love
- Mummy Pretzel Rods are just the cutest Halloween snack ever. Make these for any party or as a sweet gift for family and friends!
- Need a savory snack? These Ranch Pretzels have the most addictive and delicious flavor! You’re going to love them.
- If you’re a peanut butter chocolate lover, then you’ve got to give Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Pretzels a try!
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad is a classic comfort food that is perfect for any occasion.
- 35 Hershey’s Hugs Candy
- 35 M&M candies
- 35 square pretzels
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the oven is heating, unwrap all of the Hershey hugs and set them aside.
- Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Arrange the desired amount of pretzels on the parchment-lined baking sheet. We did 35 pretzels on our baking sheet.
- Top each square pretzel with one Hershey’s hug. Ensure the hug is in the center of the pretzel to avoid spill over. Once all of the hugs are in place, put the baking sheet in the oven for 3 minutes 30 seconds or until the hugs are slightly melted.
- Remove from the oven. Using a toothpick, gently jiggle the center of each hug to flood the chocolate on the pretzel.
- Then gently set in place one M & M in the center of each hug. Ensure you do not press down or the chocolate may run over the edge of the pretzel. Repeat this step until all the hugs have an M & M.
- Place on a cooling rack to cool at room temperature or you can also place them in the refrigerator or freezer for an expedited cooling.
- Package in your favorite airtight jar or tin for a cute gift or serve immediately and enjoy!