This Strawberry Pretzel Dessert recipe is always a hit at any holiday or potluck! It starts with a crunchy pretzel crust, then is topped with a layer of sweet cream cheese and Cool Whip filling, and a strawberry Jell-O topping. It’s a comfort food recipe that can be called a salad or dessert, whichever you would like! You’ve got to try this recipe!
Strawberry Pretzel Salad
Sweet strawberries are always a hit in our house. Whether they are in Strawberry Romaine Salad, Strawberry Upside Down Cake or a Layered Strawberry Salad or Strawberry Pie, whatever the recipe, they are always a favorite!
Now I give you Strawberry Pretzel Salad! Whether you call it a salad or call it dessert, this recipe will be the biggest hit at potlucks, your holiday gathering or even a great summertime treat. It’s always popular! My kids (big and small) just love this salad, errr dessert!
And here’s why… it’s the perfect combination of salty, crunchy, creamy and sweet – everyone loves it!
Growing up in the Midwest means this dessert or salad was a staple at most every event I attended. Funny thing is I never actually had made it before.
That’s what I decided that I needed to steal Mom’s recipe and share it with you. It’s the best version I’ve tried yet!
Can you crush pretzels in a blender?
Crushing the pretzels in a blender pulverizes them. Unless you’re super careful, it turns the pretzels into dust. If you’re really careful you can pulse the pretzels either in your food processor or blender.
Personally, I prefer to put the pretzels in a ziplock bag and crush them with a rolling pin. That is the texture that is best for this recipe.
Ingredients for Strawberry Pretzel Salad Recipe
- Cool whip
- Strawberry jello
- Cream cheese
Strawberry Pretzel Salad or Strawberry Pretzel Dessert?
It really doesn’t matter what you call this, either way it’s delicious!
In the Midwest we often times call sweet dishes like this salads, but it’s probably a dessert.
I’ll eat it either way!
How to make Strawberry Pretzel Dessert Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare the Jell-o as per package direction. Allow it to cool until soft set.
- Next prepare the crust. Mix together crushed pretzels, butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Press into a 9” x 13” pan.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes cool completely
- Now beat cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Fold in the Cool Whip.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over cooled pretzel crust. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Slice strawberries and arrange on top of cream cheese layer.
- SLOWLY pour the Jell-O mixture over strawberries. Refrigerate until set.
Why do you pour the Jell-o slowly?
If you pour it too quickly, the strawberries will not be distributed evenly, plus you don’t want the Jello-o layer to combine with the cream cheese layer. Just pour it slowly and you will be fine! You can even hold a wooden spoon between the cream cheese and you pouring to break up the fall!
Can I substitute real whipped cream for the cool whip?
No, I wouldn’t suggest it. Whipped cream changes the texture of the pretzel crust. Additionally, cool whip is already sweetened. If you adjust the cream topping you’ll also need to add sugar to the cream – just stick with cool whip. It’s the best choice for this recipe.
Strawberry Pretzel Dessert
What’s your favorite part of this strawberry salad? Personally, I love the salty crust and creamy combination. It’s just so tasty together! Plus, hands down I love strawberries!
I’ve also tried it with orange flavor and it’s delicious that way too! Just substitute orange for the strawberries and orange Jell-O for the strawberry Jell-O!
Another great strawberry treat is this fabulous Strawberry Slab Pie!
More tasty strawberry recipes!
What do you think, is this a dessert or a salad? I’d love to hear from you, comment below with your vote!
Be sure and tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats – I can’t wait to see your tasty food photography, I know it’s going to be delicious!
Strawberry Pretzel Salad Recipe
- 6 oz strawberry Jell-O package
- 16 oz fresh strawberries sliced
- 2 c. boiling water
- 2 1/2 c. pretzels crushed
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. butter melted
Cream Cheese Layer
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 8 oz Cool Whip
- 3/4 c. sugar
- Combine Jell-O with boiling water in mixing bowl. Whisk until Jell-O is dissolved. Let cool until soft set.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Next prepare the pretzel crust by mixing together crushed pretzels, melted butter, and sugar in a mixing bowl until combined. Press into a 9'' x 13'' pan.
- Bake crust in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Let cool.
- In a mixing bowl beat cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Fold in Cool Whip. Spread over cooled pretzel crust. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Place sliced strawberries on top of cream cheese layer. SLOWLY pour Jell-O mixture over strawberries. Refrigerate until set.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator.