Crunchy sweet potato chips that are made in your Air Fryer for a healthier take on them. These Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips are tossed with oil and salt then cooked in your Air Fryer. The result is perfectly crunchy and seasoned.
Hot and crispy sweet potato chips are really easy to make in your air fryer! And the best news? You only need a fraction of the oil than you would if you deep-fried them. Plus, they’re so much easier to make.
I love my air fryer and use it for cooking whole sweet potatoes all the time, so I thought, why not make sweet potato chips? We love our potato chips around here, and making them in the air fryer is so much better than buying a bag at the store.
If you love a crunchy, delicious snack, you have to try Air Fryer sweet potato chips!
Why This Recipe Works
- You only need three ingredients!
- I love that you can skip the big pot of hot oil – the chips crisp up perfectly in the Air Fryer.
- You don’t have to worry about soggy chips – follow the recipe and they will come out hot and crunchy every time!
Make these for parties, movie night, or whenever you’re craving some salty, crispy chips. I know you’re going to love them!
Sweet potatoes: You will need two to three large sweet potatoes. You don’t need to worry about peeling them, but be sure to brush off any dirt on the skin. You can rinse them to clean them off, but be sure to dry them thoroughly before slicing and air frying.
Cooking oil: For the oil, choose your favorite. I use avocado oil, but you can also use vegetable, canola, or even olive oil. Since the chips are cooked at a super high temperature, you don’t need to worry about using a high-smoke point oil. Just choose the one you like!
Seasoning: You will also need some salt. I like to salt the sliced potatoes before cooking them and then add a little more once they are hot and crispy.
How to Cook Them
Slice the potatoes: You will want thin slices about 1/8” thick. If your slices are too thick, they will end up more chewy than crispy. Use a mandolin or a very sharp knife to slice the potatoes.
Season: Toss the sliced potatoes with the oil and salt in a mixing bowl. The slices should be completely coated in the oil.
Cook: Place the slices in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Don’t stack them otherwise, they won’t cook evenly. Depending on the size of your basket, you may need to cook the chips in batches. Cook them for 20 minutes at 200°F. Flip them over and cook them for five minutes at 350°F or until they are crispy.
Serve! Season them with more salt, if desired, and serve them hot.
You can use a sharp knife to slice the potatoes, but I think it’s much easier to do it with a mandolin. You’ll get more even slices and it’s easier to handle the potatoes.
Don’t forget to cook them in a single layer, so they cook evenly. It might be tempting to pile them in, but taking the time to cook them in batches will make the best potato chips.
Once you know how to make air fryer potato chips, you can easily switch up the seasonings! Try adding some garlic powder, crushed dried herbs, or finely grated Parmesan cheese before cooking them. Adding some freshly ground black peppers is an easy seasoning, too. Feel free to experiment and let me know in the comments what you try!
When you turn the temperature to 350°F, be sure to keep an eye on them. It’s this last cooking stage where they will crisp up, but they can burn easily, so check on them – they may take less than five minutes.
I think they taste best hot from the air fryer. If you store them, they will soften and not be as crispy.
This is such a fun and delicious way to use your air fryer! We love making sweet potato chips for parties, game-days, and movie nights – I hope you give them a try!
More Crunchy Snack Ideas
- Ranch Pretzels are seasoned with ranch, dill, and garlic and impossible to resist! Put a bowl out, and they are guaranteed to disappear fast.
- I love a sweet and salty snack, and Honey Mustard Snack Mix is one of my favorites.
- For a snack with a kick, you have to try my Taco Oyster Crackers – it’s so easy to make!
Try it and love it? Rate it, please! Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day!
If you snap a photo, please be sure to tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy snack!!!
- 2-3 large sweet potatoes thinly sliced
- ¼ c. avocado oil or favorite oil
- 2 tsp salt
- Wash the potatoes and brush any dirt off the skin.
- Slice the potatoes about 1/8” thin using a mandolin slicer.
- Place the sliced sweet potatoes in a mixing bowl and toss them in the avocado oil, being sure to coat each slice.
- Add the salt and toss to coat the sweet potato slices.
- Place slices in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Cook at 200 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Flip the chips and cook for an additional 5 minutes at 350. Watch closely to avoid burning, some chips may only need a minute or two.
- After they are done cooking sprinkle with a little more salt if desired.