Want to make your favorite Chinese take out at home? Now you can! Make this Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe in your oven tonight for a delicious dinner. We pair it with our favorite homemade fried rice. There’s no reason to hit the take out routine when you can make it better at home!
Sweet and Sour Chicken
I have a soft spot for Chinese. Unfortunately, my husband does not share that soft spot. I’ve been craving Chinese for a while and I haven’t been able to con anyone into going and eating with me. I love this Fried Rice as much as this Sweet and Sour Chicken so it’s good they make the perfect pair!
So my plan attack goes something like this. Find a recipe online, attempt a new recipe, alter it to my liking because I never leave a recipe the same, don’t tell husband it’s anything to do with Chinese and see how it goes.
It went great!! He was a little skeptical when he looked at it. I forced him to try it because at this point he figured out it was Chinese. He tried and it and even liked it! I was a happy camper as after a while there is so only so many meat and potato dishes you can come up with.
This recipe does take a little bit of time so be aware of that, but it’s totally worth it!
Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
I feel like if you are going to make a Chinese dish with a few people that might not be big fans of this cuisine, this Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken is the perfect recipe to go with.
It’s honestly, about as “American” as a Chinese dish can get!
This is probably why my hubs liked it 😉
Grocery list for Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
- Chicken breasts
- Canola oil
- Soy sauce
- Garlic salt
- Salt and pepper to taste
Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
Also, it’s kid friendly! My kids love to eat anything with chicken and the flavors in this sweet and sour chicken dish are mild enough to sneak by them.
It’s a great way to mix things up a little bit from the typical chicken nuggets, if you know what I mean!
What to serve with Sweet and Sour Chicken?
How about white or brown rice – always a favorite and perfect with sweet and sour chicken! Some other great recipes you may want to try are Asian Shrimp Scampi, Easy Egg Roll in a Bowl or Easy Beef and Broccoli – all this and you’ll have a delicious Asian meal!!!
How to make Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Preheat the oven. Grease a baking dish, set aside.
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry.
- Cut chicken into chunks and season with salt and pepper.
- Place cornstarch in small bowl. Dip chicken into the cornstarch to coat. Then dip into the eggs.
- Heat your 1/4 c. oil in large skillet. Cook chicken until browned, but not cooked through. Place chicken in the baking dish.
- Whisk sugar, ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce and garlic salt together in a bowl. Pour over chicken and toss to coat.
- Bake for one hour. Stir mixture every fifteen minutes while baking.
Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken Recipe
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- salt + pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 tbs ketchup
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry. Cut chicken into chunks. Season with salt and pepper. Place cornstarch in small bowl. Dip chicken into the cornstarch to coat. Then dip into the eggs.
- Heat your 1/4 c. oil in large skillet. Cook chicken until browned, but not cooked through. Place chicken in greased 9x13 in. baking dish.
- Whisk sugar, ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce and garlic salt together in bowl. Pour over chicken and toss to coat. Bake for one hour. Stir mixture every fifteen minutes while baking.