Delicious homemade Fried Rice is the perfect recipe when you are craving Chinese or you have leftover rice on hand! Nothing goes better with your favorite Chinese recipes than fresh, steaming friend rice. I love pairing it with my favorite Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken for an entire meal that’s better than take out!
Since I was all adventurous a few nights ago and tried my first Chinese dish, Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken, I had to have something to serve with. This is where this recipe comes in. It was a fabulous meal.
I was skeptical that the hubby would eat this as it has carrots in it. *GASP* The horrors! He never even mentioned that they were in there. I wonder if he noticed?
I swear he just thinks he doesn’t like vegetables and is being impossible! I didn’t let him on my little secret that there were a few carrots in this dish!
Fried Rice Recipe
I always get a little nervous when I start cooking different dishes because I’m used to making meat and potatoes, but don’t be afraid of making this Fried Rice recipe if you’ve never made Chinese before. It’s so easy that anyone can make it!
What ingredients go into fried rice?
- Cooked white rice
- Sesame oil
- Frozen peas and carrots
- Soy sauce
Why is day old rice better for fried rice?
Day old rice is best for fried rice because the grains are a little dried out. The rice won’t stick together and it will have a better texture.
If day old rice isn’t available you can always take cooked rice and spread it out on a baking sheet. Toasting it in the oven on a low heat will help dry it out. Is that extra step worth it? You be the judge! I just try to make extra the day before – just so much easier!
What can you add into fried rice to make it a meal?
- Leftover cooked chicken
- Thinly sliced steak or pork
- Cooked shrimp
Our local Chinese restaurant offers house fried rice that has all the proteins in it! And it is delicious! Top it with a fried egg and you can even call that breakfast! (I just won’t tell my hubby!!)
Why is a wok or skillet best when making fried rice?
In my opinion the best wok will be cast iron or stainless steel. A non-stick wok won’t last very long because of the high heat, they just don’t stand up as long. The other choices are a better investment.
How to make Fried Rice
After you read through the steps of making this recipe and our great tips you will be sure to nail this recipe!
Tips to make GREAT Fried Rice every time!
- Use a large skillet or wok
- Prep the ingredients ahead of time and have them staged and ready
- Use day-old rice for the best results
Steps to make Fried Rice Recipe
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat.
- Add the peas, carrots, onion and garlic. Stir fry until tender.
- Lower the heat make a well in the rice by pushing it to the side. Pour the eggs into the skillet and stir fry until scrambled.
- Add the soy sauce and blend all everything together, enjoy!
More great Asian Recipes to round out this meal!
- Beef Lo Mein with Asparagus
- Asian Shrimp Scampi
- Easy Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Asian Steak Kabobs
- Egg Drop Soup
Ready to make your own fried rice? You got this! It’s not hard at all and it’s such an easy weeknight meal you can have on the table in minutes! Please take a moment and comment with a five star rating below, I’d love to hear what you thought of this tasty meal!
If you’re over on Instagram, please take a moment and tag me @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats!
Fried Rice Recipe
- 3- c. cooked white rice day old or leftover rice works best!
- 3 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 c. frozen peas and carrots thawed
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1/4 c. soy sauce
- On medium high heat, heat the oil in a large skillet or wok. Add the peas/carrots mix, onion and garlic. Stir fry until tender.
- Lower the heat to medium low and push the mixture off to one side, then pour your eggs on the other side of skillet and stir fry until scrambled.
- Add the rice and soy sauce and blend all together well. Stir fry until thoroughly heated!