Cravings some wings? These crispy Baked Chicken Wings are so easy to make. They are tender, juicy wings that have a homemade rub that is out of this world. An easy appetizer or fun dinner recipe!
We love to make chicken wings for parties and game-days and I’ve been making my easy baked chicken wing recipe the same way forever. It’s all about the homemade rub. Once you try it I think this will be your favorite wing recipe, too!
So, serve them for parties or make them for dinner – either way, you’re going to want to give these juicy, tender baked wings a try! I also have air fryer chicken wings, too!
They come out of the oven hot, crispy, and so DELICIOUS! That chicken rub is seriously the best – a little smoky with a little heat from the chili powder and the baking powder will have worked it’s magic. You are going to love them!
What I LOVE About These Oven Baked Chicken Wings
- They are perfectly crispy every single time thanks to our secret ingredient in the rub.
- Less mess and healthier than deep frying your chicken wings.
- So much flavor from the homemade rub that’s makes them finger lickin’ good.
Ingredients for Baked Chicken Wings
- Chicken Wings – We recommend getting the “party pack” of wings so the wing and drumette are cut apart.
- Olive oil – To help the skin get crispy and rub stick to the chicken, another type of oil will work.
- Baking powder – Baking powder helps dry out the chicken skin so it gets really crispy while it bakes.
- Chicken Rub – Sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, chili powder, onion powder
You can also buy our BBQ Rub so you always have it on hand!
How to Make Baked Chicken Wings
You can buy chicken wings already split or you can buy whole ones that you can separate yourself. To separate them, cut them where the joint is to separate the wingtip.
Pat the chicken wings dry with a paper towel – removing the excess moisture will make the skin crispier!
Line a baking sheet with foil and coat it lightly with cooking spray. Place a baking rack on top of the foil.
Combine the spice rub ingredients together in a large bowl and add the chicken wings. Lightly toss them to coat them evenly in the rub.
Place the wings in an even layer on the baking rack. Baking them on the rack will allow them to cook evenly on the top and bottom. If you place them directly on the baking sheet the bottoms won’t be crispy.
Bake them for 20 minutes at 425 degrees F. Flip them over and bake them for 20 to 30 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees F.
How to Cut Chicken Wings
- If you have a whole chicken wing you will want to cut the wing and drumette apart.
- First, slip the chicken wing over so the skin side is down and you can see the joints easily. Locate the first ridge between the drumette and wingette portions with your fingers.
- Place your knife beside this ridge and parallel to the long side of the drumette. Cut all the way through to separate. Your knife should easily cut through it.
- Next, find the second ridge between the wingette and tip portion. Cut all the way through this joint and discard of the tip.
How Long To Cook Chicken Wings in Oven
These easy chicken wings are cooked at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes. Half way through the cooking time you will need to flip them.
How To Make Chicken Wings Crispy
- The secret ingredient in these chicken wings that makes them perfect crispy is baking powder. It gives them the perfect crispy finish that you are looking for. Make sure your baking powder is aluminum free. If it contains aluminum it can give your wings an off taste.
- Another tip is to make sure you pat the wings dry before you but the rub on them so it can adhere to the skin.
What Sauce Goes Best With Baked Chicken Wings?
- You can use bottled ranch or make a batch of my amazing ranch dip!
- Your favorite BBQ sauce makes for a great dipping sauce!
- One of my favorites is creamy blue cheese dip – it’s a little tangy and pairs perfectly with the seasoned wings!
How To Store Leftover Baked Chicken Wings
Refrigerator: Place leftover chicken wings in an airtight container then store in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Freezer: You can also freeze them for up to three months by placing them in a freezer safe container.
How do you keep chicken wings from drying out in the oven?
The best tip is to not overcook the wings. Overcooked chicken quickly becomes dry. Chicken is cooked through when it reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit in thickest part of the chicken wing. Make sure you have an instant read meat thermometer to check this.
Make these juicy, tender wings for your next get-together with friends or make a batch for dinner. They’ll be a hit, I promise!
More Amazing Recipes To Try!
Want more inspiration? Here are some other delicious recipes you might like:
- Craving a juicy, tender pork chop with a delicious breading? Air Fryer Pork Chops are bursting with flavor from a Parmesan breading and are a perfect weeknight dinner.
- Skip the take-out and make my Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken. It’s an easy prep dinner recipe that the whole family will love!
- My BBQ Baked Chicken Fingers is always a hit with the kids. The chicken is marinated in BBQ sauce before being breaded and baked. It’s crunchy, juicy and perfect for dipping in your favorite sauce!
- Baked Chicken Parmesan is the perfect weeknight dinner recipe.
- These Baked Chicken Thighs with the perfect amount of seasoning are so tender and juicy on the inside with a perfectly crispy skin!
- BBQ Baked Chicken Fingers Recipe are Homemade Chicken Fingers that are Marinated in BBQ Sauce then Dipped in Egg and Panko Crumbs for a Delicious Homemade Chicken Finger!
- Simple Chicken and Vegetable Sheet Pan Dinner, a Quick and Easy Dinner Recipe! Crispy-Skinned Chicken Thighs, Tender Potatoes and Asparagus!
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is any easy casserole with layers of chicken, ham, a delicious cheese sauce, and topped buttery Panko breadcrumbs.
- Chicken Alfredo Bubble Up are Biscuits Loaded with Chicken and Smothered in Alfredo Sauce & Cheese!
- 2 pounds chicken wings recommend party pack**
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Dipping Sauces: Ranch, BBQ, Blue Cheese etc.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl combine all the rub ingredients.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and light spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place a baking rack on top of foil. Set aside.
- Pat chicken wings dry with a paper towel. Place chicken wings in a resealable plastic bag or in a bowl.
- Add oil to bag/bowl and toss to coat wings. Then add the rub mixture to the bag/bowl and shake to coat evenly.
- Place chicken wings on the lined baking sheet in an even layer, making sure they don’t touch.
- Place sheet pan in preheated oven. Bake for 20 minutes, flip and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes.
- They baking powder drys out the chicken and makes the wings super crispy so don’t forget this step!
- Internal temperature of a chicken needs to be 165 degrees F, but I like to cook mine closer to the 180-190 degree F range so there isn’t any blood around the joints.