Cravings some wings? These crispy Baked Chicken Wings are so easy to make. They are tender, juicy wings that have a homemade rub that is out of this world. An easy appetizer or fun dinner recipe!
We love to make chicken wings for parties and game-days and I’ve been making my easy baked chicken wing recipe the same way forever. It’s all about the spice rub and once you try it I think this will be your favorite wing recipe, too!
Sometimes I make these for dinner, too! I know they seem like an appetizer, but adding a side dish like baked beans, crack potatoes or a healthy veggie like asparagus turns them into a fun dinner. The kids love the little wings and eating with their hands. Yes, it’s a little messy but they love it!
So, serve them for parties or make them for dinner – either way, you’re going to want to give these juicy, tender baked wings a try! I also have air fryer chicken wings, too!
It’s All About the Chicken Rub!
This recipe is really simple and you probably already have the ingredients for the delicious spice run on hand in your pantry.
- Baking powder
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika
- Chili powder
- Onion powder
Let’s talk about the baking powder for a second – yes, the rub has baking powder, that’s not a typo! It’s the secret ingredient in the chicken rub. Baking powder helps dry out the chicken skin so it gets really crispy while it bakes. It makes a big difference!
Steps to Prepare
- You can buy chicken wings already split or you can buy whole ones that you can separate yourself. To separate them, cut them where the joint is to separate the wingtip.
- Pat the chicken wings dry with a paper towel – removing the excess moisture will make the skin crispier!
- Line a baking sheet with foil and coat it lightly with cooking spray. Place a baking rack on top of the foil.
- Combine the spice rub ingredients together in a large bowl and add the chicken wings. Lightly toss them to coat them evenly in the rub.
- Place the wings in an even layer on the baking rack. Baking them on the rack will allow them to cook evenly on the top and bottom. If you place them directly on the baking sheet the bottoms won’t be crispy.
- Bake them for 20 minutes at 425 degrees F. Flip them over and bake them for 20 to 30 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees F.
They come out of the oven hot, crispy, and so DELICIOUS! That chicken rub is seriously the best – a little smoky with a little heat from the chili powder and the baking powder will have worked it’s magic. You are going to love them!
They’re best hot from the oven while the skin is super crispy. If you have leftovers you can keep them in the fridge, but the skin will soften and won’t be as crispy.
Don’t Forget the Dipping Sauce!
Crispy wings just need a dipping sauce, right? Here are some that we love:
- You can use bottled ranch or make a batch of my amazing ranch dip!
- Your favorite BBQ sauce makes for a great dipping sauce!
- One of my favorites is creamy blue cheese dip – it’s a little tangy and pairs perfectly with the seasoned wings!
Make these juicy, tender wings for your next get-together with friends or make a batch for dinner. They’ll be a hit, I promise!
More Amazing Recipes to Try!
Want more inspiration? Here are some other delicious recipes you might like to try:
- Craving a juicy, tender pork chop with a delicious breading? Air Fryer Pork Chops are bursting with flavor from a Parmesan breading and are a perfect weeknight dinner.
- Skip the take-out and make my Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken. It’s an easy prep dinner recipe that the whole family will love!
- My BBQ Baked Chicken Fingers is always a hit with the kids. The chicken is marinated in BBQ sauce before being breaded and baked. It’s crunchy, juicy and perfect for dipping in your favorite sauce!
Try it and love it? Rate it, please!!!? Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day! If you snap a photo, please be sure to tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your delicious dinner!!
- 2 lb chicken wings recommend party pack**
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Dipping Sauces: Ranch, BBQ, Blue Cheese etc.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a small bowl combine all the rub ingredients.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and light spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place a baking rack on top of foil. Set aside.
- Pat chicken wings dry with a paper towel. Place chicken wings in a resealable plastic bag or in a bowl.
- Add oil to bag/bowl and toss to coat wings. Then add the rub mixture to the bag/bowl and shake to coat evenly.
- Place chicken wings on the lined baking sheet in an even layer, making sure they don’t touch.
- Place sheet pan in preheated oven. Bake for 20 minutes, flip and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes.
- They baking powder drys out the chicken and makes the wings super crispy so don’t forget this step!
- Internal temperature of a chicken needs to be 165 degrees F, but I like to cook mine closer to the 180-190 degree F range so there isn’t any blood around the joints.