Mouthwatering crispy fried chicken tossed in a sticky, sweet orange sauce makes this Orange Chicken a delicious dinner that’s ready in 30 minutes. If you need an easy recipe that’s full of flavor this is it. Serve it over rice and you have takeout at home!
Crispy chicken coated in a sweet and tangy orange sauce – everyone will think you ordered takeout when you make this recipe!
We love our orange chicken around here and luckily it’s easy to make from scratch at home. Takeout can get really expensive for a family of five, so when we get a craving I have a few takeout recipes up my sleeve.
Why This Recipe Works
- We’re making crispy chicken for this recipe just like a restaurant version. It’s fried in a pan – no special equipment required!
- You can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs for this recipe. Both work great.
- The sauce is simple and made with fresh orange juice plus a few other pantry staples. It’s sweet, tangy, and so delicious.
Orange Chicken Sauce
What makes this recipe so good is the delicious orange sauce. It’s so easy to make and I like to make it first so it’s ready to go when the chicken is ready.
Here’s what you need to make it!
- Orange juice and orange zest
- Soy sauce
- Brown sugar
- Rice wine vinegar
- Sesame oil
- Minced garlic
- Minced ginger
- Crushed red pepper flakes
Combine all ingredients for the sauce in a medium sauce except for the water and cornstarch. Stir to combine and heat the sauce over medium heat.
In a small bowl whisk the water and cornstarch to make a slurry. This will thicken the sauce.
Slowly add the slurry to the sauce while whisking. Keep whisking until sauce begins to thicken.
Cook it until it is thickened. This should only take four to five minutes. Take the pan off the heat and set it aside while you prepare the chicken.
How to Bread and Fry the Chicken
Cut the meat into large pieces – a little bit bigger than bite-sized will work.
In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk flour, cornstarch, salt, and pepper.
Coat the pieces in the egg and then dredge them in the flour mixture. Place them on a plate.
Heat oil in a large pan. Once the temperature of the oil is 350°F, it’s hot enough for frying.
Fry the breaded meat in small batches until they are golden brown. It should only take two to three minutes. Place the fried pieces on a sheet pan lined with paper towels.
Once all of the meat is cooked place it in a bowl and pour the sauce over the top. Toss to coat everything evenly.
How to Serve It
I love to pile the orange chicken on cooked rice or you can do cauliflower rice, too!
Add garnishes like sliced green onions, sesame seeds, and orange slices.
Yes, but the sauce will be sweeter if the brand you use has sugar. For a less sweet version, use fresh-squeezed orange juice.
You can make it as spicy as you like. I use a 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes which gives it a little kick of heat. Add more if you want it spicier or omit it if you don’t want any heat.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container and they should keep well in the refrigerator for three to four days.
Grab the ingredients for this amazing homemade orange chicken so you can make it this week! You’ll skip the takeout after you try it – it’s so good!
More Dinner Ideas!
- If you want a quick and easy dinner you need to try my Chili Mac. It’s always a family favorite!
- Use your slow cooker to make the best Lasagna!
- My Easy Taco Meat can be used to make tacos, burritos, nachos, and enchiladas. You will love it!
- Hawaiian Shrimp Kabobs are a light and easy dinner made in your air fryer! Serve the kabobs with rice for a great weeknight dinner.
- Cheesy Bacon Kale Stuffed Chicken – Delicious, Tender Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Cheese, Bacon and Kale! Quick, Easy and Delicious Recipe!
- Chicken Ramen Stir-Fry – Easy, Delicious Weeknight Meal Loaded with Healthy Ingredients with the Addition of Ramen for a Fun Twist! On the Table in 30 Minutes!
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Skillet Noodles – Easy Dinner Recipe Loaded with Chicken, Ham, Egg Noodles and Cheese!
- Creamy Pesto Chicken Pasta – Easy Dinner with Rigatoni, Chicken and Creamy White Sauce with Pesto! Dinner Recipe That’s on the Table in Less Than 40 Minutes.
Be sure to give this recipe a try! If you love this recipe as much as we do, be sure to leave a five-star rating below!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram either, I’d love to see pictures of your good eats! @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs (about 1 ½ – 2 pounds)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Oil for frying
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 c. fresh orange juice or store bought
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp fresh garlic minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes more if you like it spicy
- ½ c. water
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- Green onions
- Toasted sesame seeds
- In a medium saucepan, add all ingredients for sauce EXCEPT water and cornstarch. Stir and heat over medium.
- In a small bowl or jar with a lid, whisk together the water and cornstarch to make a slurry.
- Then slowly drizzle into sauce whisking constantly until sauce begins to thicken.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes or until sauce is to desired consistency.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Trim chicken and cut into large chunks.
- In a shallow bowl or dish, whisk eggs.
- In another bowl or dish, whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper
- Dip chicken in eggs and then in flour mixture, place on baking sheet until oil is hot.
- Heat oil in large skillet to 350 degrees F.
- Line large baking sheet with paper towel.
- Working in small batches, cook chicken 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oil with slotted spoon and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with the rest of the chicken.
- After all chicken is cooked toss chicken with sauce.
- Serve immediately with rice, green onions, and sesame seeds if desired.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator in an airtight container.