These Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars start with a shortbread crust that’s topped with a layer of cheesecake filled with cinnamon diced apples and then topped with a streusel topping. Don’t forget to drizzle caramel on top for the ultimate fall dessert.
If you’ve been reading my blog you already know how much I love apple desserts and this recipe today is one of my all-time favorites.
Caramel apple cheesecake bars are basically your dream fall dessert. Can you make them all year? Of course! But, they are absolutely perfect for the fall season when it’s all about the apple, caramel, and cinnamon spice flavors.
Why This Recipe Works
- There are three amazing layers in these bars: a shortbread crust, apple cheesecake filling, and a crunchy streusel topping.
- It might look like a lot of ingredients, but I can promise this is an easy recipe! There’s nothing complicated, just a few steps to make the most amazing caramel cheesecake bars.
- These are the best dessert for potlucks and parties. You can make them ahead and keep them in the refrigerator before serving. I’ve been making them for years and they are always a hit!
I love easy apple recipes and these bars are always a favorite of mine. You will love them, too!
- All-purpose flour – You will need some for the topping and crust.
- Brown sugar – This is used for the topping and crust, too!
- Butter – You’ll want this to be cold and cubed so you can cut it in.
- Cream cheese – Make sure it’s softened so it mixes easily.
- White sugar – this is used in the filling and in the topping.
- Vanilla extract
- Large eggs – Room temperature eggs mix into the batter better! Did you know that?
- Apples – I prefer a tart apple for this recipe like Granny Smith.
- Spices – A mixture of ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg give it that flavor.
- Quick-cooking oats
- Caramel ice cream topping
How to Make the Crust
Mix the flour and brown sugar in a small mixing bowl. Use a pastry cutter or fork to cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
Press the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Bake the crust for 15 to 18 minutes or until the crust is just starting to brown.
Set the crust aside while you prepare the filling.
How to Make the Filling
In a large bowl, beat the softened cream cheese, granulated sugar, and vanilla. Mix in the eggs with the mixer on low speed. When the mixture is smooth, spread it over the crust.
Place the chopped apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, and white sugar in a small bowl. Toss to combine and then spoon the mixture over the top of the cream cheese layer.
How to Make the Topping
Combine flour, brown sugar, and oats in a bowl. Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut in butter until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle the topping over the apple layer.
Bake the bars for 25 to 30 minutes or until filling is set. Take the pan out of the oven and, while the bars are still hot, drizzle the caramel sauce over the top.
Cool bars in pan for one hour at room temperature. Transfer them to the refrigerator and chill them for at least two hours.
Once they are chilled, cut into bars and serve.
Make-Ahead Tip: You can prepare and bake the bars a day in advance and keep them in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve them.
Storage Tip: Keep leftover bars covered in the refrigerator. They will keep for two to three days.
The textures and flavors in these caramel apple cheesecake bars are so good! The buttery crust with the creamy filling and crunchy topping is just the best! And the flavors – they are perfect for fall. Make these bars and I know you’ll love them!
More Fall Dessert Bars
- Tender, moist, and delicious Pumpkin Bars topped with cream cheese frosting are perfect for holidays or whenever you’re craving a pumpkin dessert!
- If you want another apple dessert, my Apple Bars with Caramel Frosting are amazing, too!
- If you want a fun way to use candy corn, Candy Corn Peanut Bars are really easy!
Don’t forget, comment below and let me know how much you love this treat! If you post a picture on Instagram and be sure to tag me so I can see it too! I’m loving all of your delicious foodie pics!
You can find me at @julieseatsandtreats or just #julieseatsandtreats. If you hashtag me, I’ll get to see it that way too!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter cubed
- 2 packages cream cheese 8 oz each, softened
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons white sugar divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 3 medium tart apples peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup cold butter cubed
- 1/3 cup caramel ice cream topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13×9 inch pan. Set aside.
- Combine flour and brown sugar in small mixing bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Press into prepared baking pan. Bake 15-18 minutes or until crust is just beginning to brown.
- While crust is baking, beat cream cheese, 1/2 c. sugar and vanilla in large bowl, until mixture is smooth. Add eggs, beat on low speed until just combined. Spread mixture over crust.
- Toss apples, cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining 2 Tablespoons sugar in a small bowl. Spoon apple mixture over cream cheese layer.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine flour, sugars and oats. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over apple layer.
- Baked for 25-30 minutes or until filling is set. Remove from oven. Cool bars in pan for 1 hour. Refrigerate bars for at least two hours. Drizzle with caramel topping. Cut into bars and serve.
Recipe from Taste of Home