This Apple Bar Recipe is the perfect fall dessert! These Apple Bars topped with a Caramel Frosting have a soft, flaky crust this is layered with homemade apple pie filling then drizzled with caramel frosting!
I have a confession. I’m not a big fan of pie crust, it just doesn’t do it for me, but I LOVE apple pie! That’s why I love these delicious Apple Bars. The crust is way better than pie crust in my opinion, the filling is just like apple pie filling and it’s got this amazing Caramel frosting drizzled on top! It’s like the best of both worlds!
I have a ton of apples thanks to my wonderful Mommy. I mean two entire crisper full of apples in my fridge. This is your warning that you should beware of numerous apple recipes coming your way. I’m hoping you aren’t disappointed in this little tidbit I just shared with you. If you are I might have to break up with you. I’m sorry. This relationship just isn’t working for me. 😉
I was having my annual Fall/Winter Scentsy open house this week and I of course needed to make some treats for this like these Apple Bars and a batch of our favorite Banana Bars. I feel a bit of pressure when people come over to provide great food due to this blog. One of the hazards associated with this.
Then I feel the need to bake and create which usually ends up in way to much food. My hips do not like this as much as my tummy does like this. Then I bring it work and try to feed my fellow employees. They like this much better than my hips do!
Grocery list for Apple Bars
- Unsalted butter
- Rice Krispies
- Cream cheese
- Caramel ice cream topping
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
Apple Bar Recipe
I scoured Pinterest for an apple bar recipe to make for this event and I found great ones, but none I fell in love with. I think went the old fashioned way and grabbed a church cookbook out of my cupboard. That’s when I found this recipe and decided to go with it.
I’m not a big crust maker but this one is forgiving just smash it into the pan and it will be fine! The original recipe called for a powdered sugar icing but I mixed things up and want for a caramel cream cheese frosting. I mean caramel and apples go together like salt and pepper right? They do in my book!
Steps to make Apple Bars
- Mix apples and sugar together and set aside.
- Mix flour, salt, a tablespoon of sugar and melted butter together.
- Separate the egg. Put yolk (reserve egg white) in 1 c. measuring cup. Add milk to 2/3 line. Mix together with the flour mixture for the dough.
- Take half of dough and roll out to fit a 10×15 inch jelly roll pan.
- Put dough in the bottom of the jelly roll pan. Sprinkle crushed cereal over the dough. Top with apple mixture.
- Roll out remainder of dough. Place on top of apple filling. Beat the egg white and brush over the top. Sprinkle a little sugar over the top and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- While the bars are cooling combine the cream cheese and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave until you can whisk the mixture together. Whisk in caramel sauce, milk and vanilla until smooth. Whisk in the powdered sugar until smooth. Drizzle over bars.
What do you think, are you ready to give these a try? They are a delicious dessert and an indulgent snack. We 💖💖💖 them and I’m sure you will too! Whether you’re taking them to a potluck or an easy dessert they are a great sweet treat!!!
I have a few more Apple Bars on the blog you’ll love!
How about you, do you have a favorite Apple Bar Recipe that you love? Share it with me – I love to see it! Now that we’re in the season of apple, I’m loving all of these good eats! Share those picture too you can tag me at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats
Apple Bar Recipe with Caramel Frosting
- 5 c. apples peeled & sliced
- 1 c. sugar
- 3 c. flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c. butter
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 c. Rice Krispies crushed
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp. caramel ice cream topping
- 1 tbsp. milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Mix apples and 1 c. sugar together and set aside. Mix flour, salt, 1 Tbsp sugar and melted butter. Put egg yolk (set the egg white aside for later) in 1 c. measuring cup. Add milk to 2/3 line. Mix all these ingredients.
- Take half of dough and roll out to fit a 10x15 inch jelly roll pan. Put dough in the bottom of the jelly roll pan. Sprinkle crushed cereal over the dough. Top with apple mixture.
- Roll out remainder of dough. Place on top of apple filling. Beat the egg white and brush over the top. Sprinkle a little sugar over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- While bars are cooling combine the cream cheese and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 15-20 second intervals until you can whisk the mixture together. Whisk in caramel sauce, milk and vanilla until smooth. Whisk in the powdered sugar until smooth. Drizzle over bars.