Chicken Enchiladas topped with a Creamy Green Chili Sauce made with Greek Yogurt and spicy green chilis! An easy weeknight meal that will beat going out to eat any day of the week!
So … Mexican Food.
Love it or hate it?
Me? I’m a lover all the way, through and through!
Especially since I moved down to Texas. It seems like there’s a Tex-Mex or Authentic Mexican Restaurant every 1/2 mile.
Let me tell you. They have mastered the art of Mexican Food down in Texas, no messing around. It is a dream come true!
Whenever I go to a restaurant down here my dish of choice is usually either Enchiladas or Fajitas, just depending on what I’m feeling that day and what that particular restaurant is known for.
We are on a budget so going out to eat was out of the question this week but after having this recipe you’ll want to stay in for enchiladas from now on. You can even make my Restaurant Style Roasted Salsa and be one happy camper. No need to leave the house!
These Chicken Enchiladas are made with whole wheat tortillas and stuffed with chicken, smoked paprika and a small amount of cheese. Then topped with “the good stuff” – Creamy Green Chili Sauce.
Let me say that again. Creamy Green Chili Sauce.
Yup its as good as it sounds. This Sauce is made with caramelized shallots, garlic, Greek Yogurt, more smoked paprika, and finished with green chilis!
Ya’ll … these enchiladas are to die for! Plus they are much healthier than anything you would get eating out! So give them a try and let me know what you think?
More Great Tex-Mex Recipe to try!
- Chili Rubbed Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
- Taco Pie
- Grilled Tilapia Bowls with Avocado Chipotle Crema
- Cilantro Lime Quinoa with Black Beans
- Creamy Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
Chicken Enchiladas with Creamy Green Chili Sauce
- 1 lb. cooked chicken diced or shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup of monterey jack cheese
- 8-10 whole wheat tortillas
Green Chili Sauce:
- 1 tablespoons of grape seed oil
- 1/2 cup of diced shallots
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon of arrowroot
- 1 cup of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup of plain green yogurt
- salt & pepper
- 7 oz. of mild diced green chili
- 1/2 cup of monterey jack cheese
- toppings: avocado diced tomato, cilantro, jalapano
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat a medium saucepan to medium high heat, add in grape seed oil and shallots. Cook until shallots are slightly browned, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in garlic, 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika, and arrowroot. Stir until arrowroot is combined and sticking to the shallots, about 1-2 minutes.
- Next whisk in chicken broth. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in greek yogurt, green chilis, and salt & pepper let simmer for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl add cooked chicken, 1/2 cup of monterey jack cheese, and 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika. Toss to combine.
- Spray the bottom of a 13x9" baking dish with PAM.
- Add 1/3 cup of chicken mixture to tortilla, roll it up and lay down (seam side down) in baking dish. Continue until all tortillas are used up.
- Cover enchiladas with creamy green chili sauce.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of monterey jack cheese on top.
- Bake in oven for 20 or until cheese is slightly browned.
- Serve! Garnish with diced tomatoes, avocados, cilantro, or jalapenos.