Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
Looking for a delicious dinner recipe? These creamy chicken enchiladas are amazing! Soft flour tortillas filled with chicken and cream cheese mixture then topped with a seasoned sour cream and baked. Don’t forget the ooey gooey melted cheese on top. Great for an easy weeknight dinner recipe.
Enchiladas are a favorite around here, we even make them for breakfast! If you aren’t big on spice try these Creamy Chicken Enchiladas that are filled with a cream cheese and chicken mixture. Then topped with a sour cream topping and baked. The finishing touch is the melted cheese on top!
These are perfect for a quick dinner recipe during the weeknight and so easy to make.
Why this Recipe Works!
- An easy dinner recipe that’s satisfying and comforting. These enchiladas are the perfect Mexican comfort food that’s creamy and delicious.
- Tips for Making them ahead of time or freezing for use to later. Double the recipe, freezer one pan and have an easy dinner recipe in the freezer!
- Easy to make them as spicy as you’d like or more mild so everyone can enjoy this Mexican dinner recipe!
- Cream cheese – Grab the block of cream cheese not the whipped or flavored cream cheeses.
- Cooked chicken – Perfect use of rotisserie chicken or canned chicken to make this an easy dinner recipe.
- Flour tortillas – We prefer flour over corn tortillas in this recipe as they will be softer and lead to a creamier enchilada.
- Cream of chicken soup – Any cream of soup will work in this recipe if you don’t have chicken.
- Sour cream – Plain Greek Yogurt can also be used, but it might be a bit more “tangy”.
- Green chilies – If you want spicier enchiladas grab the spicy green chilies instead of mild or add chopped jalapenos.
- Cheddar cheese – Grab the block and grate it yourself for the best “meltability” like always! You could also use a jack cheese, pepper jack (adds more spice!) or queso blanco cheese.
- Spices – Onion powder, cumin, salt and pepper
Steps to Prepare
- Mix Filling – Mix the cream cheese, water, onion powder, cumin, salt and pepper until smooth. Stir in chicken.
- Fill Enchiladas – Lay out tortillas. Spoon about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up enchilada and place seam side down in the baking dish.
- Top Enchiladas – Next combine the soup, sour cream and chilies, pour over enchiladas.
- Bake – Bake, uncovered, until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with cheese, bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Make Ahead & Freezer Tips for Enchiladas!
To prepare these in advance we make the enchiladas as stated in the recipe and stop before baking. Cover the pan with a lid, foil or saran wrap and place in the refrigerator up to 24 hours in advance.
When ready to prepare remove from refrigerator and let sit out on counter while oven preheats. Then bake according to directions. Plan about 10 minutes of extra bake time as the enchiladas are cold.
To freeze this recipe prepare up to the baking step in recipe. Cover tightly with saran wrap then tinfoil or a lid. Place in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to prepare we recommend taking out the night before and letting the enchiladas thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Bake according to directions.
What to serve with Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
Great options would be a simple green salad, guacamole or salsa and chips or Mexican rice!
More great enchilada recipes!
- Delicious ground beef, crispy potatoes and tender vegetables make these Beef and Potato Enchiladas amazing!
- Calling all ranch lovers! These Chicken Ranch Enchiladas are a delicious twist on regular enchiladas!
- Seasoned and sautéed shrimp and vegetables make these Shrimp Enchiladas perfect for Friday Lent dinners or anytime!
- Classic Beef Enchiladas are cheesy, hearty comfort food your family will love!
- Make Ahead Breakfast Enchiladas are Loaded with Bacon, Potatoes, Pepper Jack Cheese and is Perfect for Feeding Breakfast to a Crowd!
You’re going to love this delicious comfort food! It’s really one of our favorites. And leftovers on day two? Even better!
Snap a pic so I get to see it and tag me @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats – it’s so good, I know you’ll love it!
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!
Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 1/2 c diced cooked chicken
- 10 flour tortillas 6 inches, room temperature
- 1 can cream of chicken soup 10 3/4 oz
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1 can chopped green chilies 4 oz
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, water, onion powder, cumin, salt and pepper until smooth. Stir in chicken.
- Place 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in a greased 13 in x 9 in baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the soup, sour cream, and chilies, pour over enchiladas.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Leave a Comment