There’s nothing better than celebrating your birthday or special day with a stack of these light, fluffy Funfetti Pancakes! This homemade pancake batter is loaded with sprinkles to make these extra festive. Top them with homemade vanilla frosting and skip the syrup!
I love funfetti sprinkles with all kinds of things – cookies, cakes, cupcakes, and even pancakes! These funfetti pancakes are perfect for a birthday breakfast or anytime you want a special treat.
Why This Recipe Works
- I’m showing you how to make funfetti pancakes without cake mix – they are made completely from scratch and taste amazing because they are based on my famous homemade pancakes that are so light and fluffy!
- Sprinkles are mixed into the batter for a fun twist – you can also use them to decorated the pancakes.
- Instead of syrup, pour a sweet vanilla frosting over the top as a special treat!
You don’t need to wait for a birthday to enjoy these fun pancakes – make them this weekend just for fun!
- Flour – Every day all-purpose in the only flour we have tested these with.
- Baking powder – Makes the pancakes light and fluffy.
- Sugar – Adds tenderness to the pancakes.
- Salt – Brings out the flavor of the other ingredients and adds depth.
- Egg – Holds them together.
- Milk – Skim or 2% of milk was used, both work great. You could also use buttermilk.
- Melted butter – Salted butter is what we used.
- Vanilla – Adds the perfect depth of flavor.
- Sprinkles – Rainbow sprinkles work great to make the “funfetti” in these pancakes.
How to Make Funfetti Pancakes
Dry Ingredients: In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
Wet Ingredients: Beat the egg n a bowl until light and fluffy. Add the milk, melted butter, and vanilla and stir just until combined.
Combine: Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones. Stir just until the dry ingredients are absorbed. If the batter is too thick you can add a little more milk to thin it.
Cook: Scoop ¼ cup of batter for each pancake and cook them on a hot greased griddle. Flip the pancakes once bubbles appear on top. Cook on the other side until golden brown.
In a bowl, whisk powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and melted butter until smooth.
Spoon over the warm pancakes, decorate with more sprinkles, and serve!
Other Toppings for Birthday Pancakes
Try these other toppings, too!
- Homemade Whipped Cream
- Blueberry Sauce or Strawberry Sauce
- Cinnamon Butter with some warm maple syrup
- Fresh fruit like sliced bananas, strawberries, and blueberries
For the best pancakes, don’t overmix the batter. Mix the dry and wet ingredients separately first. When you combine them, stir just until the flour mixture is absorbed into the wet ingredients. It’s okay if there are a few lumps!
I love the multicolored sprinkles for birthdays but use any color or combination of colors that you like!
To make pancakes that are all the same size, scoop the batter with a measuring cup. I think ¼ cup of batter makes a perfect-sized pancake.
If you cook them in batches, keep the cooked ones on a baking sheet in a warm oven while you finish the rest. That way, they’re all warm when you serve them.
In a really big hurry and don’t want to go the homemade pancake route? Simply mix up your favorite pre-made pancake mix and add in the sprinkles. Of course, we think this homemade pancake mix is better!
These pancakes are fluffy, delicious, and adorable with all the sprinkles and fun pancake frosting. Surprise your family with a batch this weekend, or save them for a special birthday celebration. I know you will love them!
More Recipes to Try
Pancakes are the best way to wake up in the morning! It’s so fun to try different flavors and twist on them.
A few of our favorite recipes are Chocolate Chip Pancakes (<— Kid Favorite!), Blueberry Pancakes, Mini Pancakes, and Old Fashioned Buttermilk Pancakes. Or try my Red Velvet Pancakes for a fun breakfast treat!
Try it and love it? Rate it, please! Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day!
If you snap a photo, please be sure to tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your amazing hot chocolate!!!
Funfetti Pancake Batter
- 1 ½ c. flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 ¼ c. milk
- 2 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ c. sprinkles
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp butter melted, slightly cooled
- In a mixing bowl add powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and melted butter. Whisk until combined and no lumps remain. Set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients and sift in a bowl.
- In another bowl beat the egg until light and fluffy. Add 1 c. milk, melted butter and vanilla to the bowl. Stir until just mixed.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until moistened. Add sprinkles in and gently stir. At this point if it is too thick add the remaining 1/4 c. of milk to the batter a little at a time until you reach the consistency you want.
- On a hot griddle sprayed with non-stick spray or greased with butter pour ¼ c. of batter to form pancakes. When the pancakes begin to bubble on top, flip over and cook until the other side is golden brown too. Repeat until all the batter is used.
- Serve stack of pancakes with vanilla frosting. The frosting will be thick, but will melt when it hits the hot pancake and runs over the edges.
- Optional: Top with whipped topping and more sprinkles.