Light, fluffy Mini Pancakes are so easy to make and fun to eat! Sometimes they are called Sliver Dollar pancakes due to their size. They are perfect for a quick breakfast, brunches, and kids love them!
Breakfast on school mornings can get really tough if you don’t have some quick recipes under your hat. These mini pancakes are based off our viral homemade pancake recipe and are a perfect for a fast breakfast on a busy morning, or simply a yummy breakfast on a slow Saturday.
I love to pair these with oven baked bacon and these light and fluffy scrambled eggs. And if I need to be extra quick, I’ll pair these mini pancakes with a ham and cheese egg muffin that I made earlier in the week.
A quick breakfast doesn’t always have to be cereal or a granola bar! These mini pancakes are just as fast, and much more tasty.
Why are they called silver dollar pancakes?
Sometimes these fun mini pancakes are referred to as Silver Dollar Pancakes. Why, you might ask? The name originated in the 1800s and they got their name from being roughly about the same size as the US Silver dollar, about 2-3 inches wide, that was made before 1979.
Why You’ll Love this Mini Pancake Recipe
- These silver dollar pancakes are perfect to make ahead and reheat each morning for a breakfast that is super quick and extra tasty.
- If you’re looking to count your calories at breakfast time, mini pancakes are a great way to focus on portion control.
- This mini pancake recipe can be made with ingredients you most likely already have in your pantry and fridge.
Ingredients for Mini Pancakes
- Flour – Use your favorite all-purpose flour for this mini pancake recipe.
- Baking Powder – This will help your pancakes rise so they will be fluffy.
- Sugar – You don’t want your batter to sweet, but a little bit of sugar will help to perfectly sweeten these pancakes.
- Salt – A little bit of salt will help round out the flavor of your mini pancakes.
- Egg – One egg will help combine the ingredients and give your pancakes structure.
- Milk – You can use whole milk, 2% milk, buttermilk, or any other milk of your choice.
- Butter – Salted and unsalted butter will both work great in this recipe!
How to Make Mini Pancakes
Begin by combining all of your dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Then, sift them into a large mixing bowl.
In a separate bowl, beat your egg and then stir in your melted butter and 1 cup of milk.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing as you go.
Note, if your batter is really thick, add the other 1/4 cup of milk and stir well.
Heat your griddle or large skillet and grease it well with butter. Then, drop your batter by tablespoon size onto the griddle or skillet to make mini pancake portions.
Once bubbles start to appear, flip each pancake over and cook for about another minute on the other side.
To keep your pancakes warm as you cook the rest of the batter, keep them on a baking sheet in the oven.
How to Serve Mini Pancakes
How long do Mini Pancakes last?
FRIDGE: These little pancakes will last for about 4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
FREEZER: Mini pancakes are the perfect breakfast item to make in large quantities and freeze until needed. In an airtight container, your silver dollar pancakes will stay fresh for about 2 months. Be sure to put a sheet of parchment paper between each pancake so that they don’t stick together.
To reheat, just pop them in the microwave or toaster oven until warm.
How do I keep my pancakes from burning?
You may have the heat too high on your griddle or skillet. Reduce the heat and make sure you’re flipping the pancakes when you see bubbles forming.
Should my pancake batter be thick or runny?
A good pancake batter will be thick, but smooth. The key to good pancakes is to make sure you don’t over mix the batter.
How do I know when to flip my pancakes?
When little bubbles form on the top of the pancake it’s time to flip them!
Pro-Tips for the best Mini Pancakes
- Try adding in mini chocolate chips or blueberries to your batter before making your silver dollar pancakes.
- Use a cookie scoop to easily portion out the same amount of patter for each pancake.
- Make sure you have a really good spatula to easily flip the pancakes!
This mini pancake recipe has come in handy so many times. They are sure to become a breakfast staple for you!
More Pancake Recipes You’ll Love
- If you’re feeding a large crowd, these Sheet Pan Pancakes are a great breakfast solution!
- I love to make Funfetti Pancakes for breakfast when it’s one of my kid’s birthdays!
- Want a cozy, fall breakfast? Try these Pumpkin Pancakes.
- This Mini Pancake Cereal is so much fun and absolutely delicious!
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- 2 Tablespoon butter melted
- additional butter for greasing pan about 3 Tbsp
- Combine dry ingredients and sift into a bowl.
- In another bowl beat egg until light and fluffy. Add 1 cup milk and melted butter to the bowl. Stir until combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until moistened. At this point if it is too thick add the remaining ¼ c. of milk to the batter a little at a time until you reach the consistency you want.
- Heat a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Lightly grease skillet. Working in batches, drop batter by tablespoonfuls into a skillet. Cook until bubbles appear on top and a few have burst, 2 minutes. Flip and cook until browned on underside, 1 minute.
- Transfer the pancakes to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with more butter and remaining batter, wiping the skillet clean between batches. Serve with desired toppings.