Tender, light and fluffy homemade Red Velvet Pancakes that are topped with a drizzle of cream cheese to mimic the taste and flavor of a Red Velvet Cake! These are perfect for the holidays or a special treat. Plus, easy enough to whip up in the morning for a quick breakfast.
I am always looking for fun breakfast recipes for holidays and birthdays for the family, and these red velvet pancakes fit the bill! They are such a fun way to change up breakfast or brunch.
They are kid-friendly, but the grown-ups love them, too! Jason and I have never turned down a plate of these fun red pancakes – they are delicious. I make the red velvet pancake batter from scratch and top the pancakes with an easy cream cheese drizzle. It’s the perfect match.
You Will Love this Recipe!
- They look like fancy pancakes you might get at a restaurant, but they’re easy to make. If you can make traditional pancakes, you can make these!
- They taste just like red velvet cake with that tangy flavor, and, of course, they have that beautiful red color. Perfect for Christmas, Valentine’s day, birthdays, a regular Saturday… basically anytime you want to treat yourself!
- Make some hot chocolate for the kids and coffee for the grown-ups to go with these fluffy red velvet pancakes. I know you’re going to love them!
Dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
Wet ingredients: Egg, buttermilk, vegetable oil, red food coloring
Note: For the best red velvet flavor, I recommend using buttermilk. If you don’t have any, you can use regular milk or make your own buttermilk substitute.
How to Make the Batter
- Whisk the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk, and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix just until they are absorbed. Add the food coloring and mix until the color is uniform.
How to Cook Pancakes
I like to cook pancakes on an electric griddle because it’s easy to monitor the temperature. Preheat it to 350°F. If you don’t have one you can cook them in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
Scoop ¼ cup of batter for each pancake. Cook them for four to five minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface. Carefully flip them over and cook them for two to three minutes longer.
Cream Cheese Drizzle
For serving, I like to top red velvet pancakes with a cream cheese drizzle. All you do is beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk in a bowl. Drizzle over the hot pancakes!
Tip for making fluffy pancakes: The best pancakes are fluffy! The key is not to overmix the batter. When you combine the dry and wet ingredients, you only need to mix until the flour is absorbed. When you add the food coloring, you will mix again, so don’t do it too much initially.
Food coloring: Depending on the kind you use, the amount you need will vary. It’s always better to start with less and add more!
Garnishes: You can dress them up even more by adding fresh fruit like strawberries or raspberries!
If you love red velvet cake you have to try these pancakes! They are perfect for special occasion breakfasts and brunches, but easy enough for a quick breakfast whenever you want to treat yourself!
More Special Breakfast Recipes!
- Strawberry Cheesecake Crescent Ring is an easy recipe that tastes like a fancy fruit Danish, but made easy with crescent rolls!
- For a fun treat, make my French Toast Sticks! They are crunchy, sweet, and the perfect dipping in maple syrup.
- Everyone will love a batch of Homemade Waffles! Add all of your favorite toppings for an amazing breakfast.
- My Crunchy Pecan Banana French Toast is so easy and tastes like a fancy brunch dish from a restaurant!
Love this recipe? Be sure and comment below and leave a 5-star rating! I know you’ll love this delicious recipe as much as we do!
You can find more deliciousness on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats!!
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- ¾ c. milk or buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1-2 Tbsp red food coloring
Cream Cheese Drizzle
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ c. powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-4 Tbsp milk
Cream Cheese Drizzle
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Beat in milk a little at a time until desired consistency.
- Set aside while you prepare the pancakes.
- Preheat griddle to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a small mixing bowl and milk, then whisk in egg and oil.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until moistened. Add the red food coloring and stir to combine. Adjust the amount until desired color is met.
- Spray griddle with non-stick cooking spray.
- Divide pancake batter on griddle. I usually use a 1/4 c. measuring cup to measure the batter onto the griddle.
- Cook 4-5 minutes or until edges are set and pancake starts to bubble on top. Flip and continue to cook the other side of the pancake for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove onto serving platter and serve with cream cheese drizzle.