Mix up your dinner routine with this easy and delicious Instant Pot Jambalaya. Tons of flavor from the shrimp, Andouille sausage, onion, celery and seasonings. It’s a quick weeknight meal that’s cooked in one pot in the pressure cooker which means minimal clean up!
For a stick-to-your-ribs dinner, you can’t beat homemade jambalaya! It’s a Creole dish loaded with shrimp, sausage, chicken, and veggies with rice with the most amazing seasoning.
My version is an easy electric pressure cooker recipe that cooks the meat and rice perfectly every time. Plus, it’s all done in one pot for easy clean-up!
Why This Recipe Works
- You can do all the steps in the IP – sautéing and pressure cooking. There are no separate steps on the stove.
- Different kinds of meat need different cooking times, and I’m showing you the order to cook the ingredients, so they are perfectly cooked.
- The seasoning is amazing! The combination of spices and herbs with rice, meat, and veggies are so delicious.
- This is a complete meal that cooks in one pot, but I’m also sharing some must-make side dishes to go with it for an amazing dinner!
Ready to use your IP to make a fantastic sausage jambalaya with chicken and shrimp your family will devour? I know you’re going to love it.
- Olive oil
- Medium-sized cooked shrimp patted dry with a paper towel
- Sliced andouille sausage
- Cubed boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Chopped onion, celery, and green bell pepper
- Minced garlic
- Dried thyme and bay leaves
- Cajun seasoning
- Long grain white rice
- Kosher salt
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Chicken stock
- Sliced green onions and chopped parsley for garnish
How to Make It
Brown: Turn on the sauté setting and add the oil. Once it’s hot, brown the sausage and then transfer it to a plate lined with a paper towel. Add the cubed chicken, brown it, and transfer it to the plate with the sausage.
Cook the veggies: Place the onions, celery, pepper, and garlic in the IP. Cook them until the onions are translucent, and then add the thyme, one teaspoon of Cajun seasoning, and salt. Stir well to combine.
Combine: Add the chicken stock, bay leave, browned sausage, and chicken to the pot. Add the tomatoes with all the juices and the rice. Stir to combine.
Pressure cook: Secure the lid and close the vent. Cook on high pressure for seven minutes.
Quick-release: After the time is up, do a quick release and carefully open the valve to release the steam. Take off the lid and remove the bay leaves.
Warm the shrimp: Add the shrimp and stir. Cover with the lid. You don’t need to cook at this point – the residual heat in the IP will warm up the shrimp in about ten minutes.
Garnish and serve: Remove the lid, give it a good stir and garnish with the green onions and parsley. Serve and enjoy!
Side Dish Ideas
Instant Pot Jambalaya is a meal in itself, but adding sides means you can stretch it to feed more or to have fantastic leftovers!
Yes, whether you cook it in a pressure cooker or on the stove the rice is always added in uncooked.
The are similar except for the rice. You add uncooked rice to jambalaya and gumbo is served with rice that is cooked separately.
Long-grain rice is best. Short-grain can get too mushy.
It’s usually not soupy – when you add the rice it soaks up a lot of the liquid in the pot so that there isn’t a lot of excess liquid left.
Keep them in an airtight container in the fridge. They will be good for up to four days.
There is nothing better than a one-pot dinner, and the combination of sausage, chicken, and shrimp makes the best Instant Pot jambalaya! Be sure to pick up the ingredients to make it this week. I know it will be a hit!
More Great Instant Pot Recipes!
- Your IP is a really easy way to cook delicious Baby Back Ribs! Slather them with BBQ sauce for an amazing dinner.
- For a comforting and cozy dinner, make my Swedish Meatballs. The egg noodles, meatballs, and delicious creamy sauce all cook together for easy clean-up!
- Craving tacos? Chicken Taco Meat is really easy to make in a pressure cooker!
- Making Lasagna Soup in your pressure cooker is a quick and easy to get a pasta fix without a lot of work!
- Learn how to make Instant Pot Shrimp Boil! This is an easy dinner your family will love.
Did you try this recipe? Be sure to comment and rate it below, I definitely want to hear from you!
And if you’re like me and snap photos, be sure to tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats – that way, I’m sure to see your pictures!!!
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 12 oz medium pre-cooked shrimp
- 14 oz Andouille sausage cut ¼ inch thick
- 12 oz boneless skinless chicken thighs cut 1 inch cube
- 1 c. onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- ½ tsp dried Thyme
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning divided
- 1 ½ c. Long grain white rice
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 ¾ c. chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- green onions sliced for garnish
- Parsley chopped for garnish
- Set pot to Saute and add oil. When pressure cooker reads HOT add sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer sausage to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Add chicken and cook until browned, another 5 minutes. Make sure to scrape the browned bits up from the sausage. Remove and set aside on plate with the sausage.
- Add onions, celery, bell pepper, and garlic to Instant Pot. Cook until onions are translucent about 2-3 minutes. Then add thyme, 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning and salt, stir until well combined.
- Stir in chicken stock and bay leaves to Instant Pot. Then return the sausage and the chicken to the pot. Add in the tomatoes and the rice and stir to combine.
- Secure the instant pot lid and turn valve to sealing. Cook on High Pressure for 7 minutes.
- While jambalaya is cooking dry shrimp with a paper towel and rub with 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning.
- When pressure cooker is done cooking preform a quick release on the instant pot and open the lid. Remove bay leaves from pot.
- Carefully add the shrimp into Instant Pot and give it a quick stir to incorporate the shrimp.
- Return lid to the pot and allow the shrimp to cook in the residual heat for about 10 minutes. DO NOT TURN THE INSTANT POT TO COOK.
- Remove the lid and stir until well combined. Serve immediately.